Advice/suggestions needed. Private plate .Sentimental value

scottie123

(●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#
Reaction score
Hi people.

I after a bit of advice/support/comments :)

Sadly, my grandfather passed away 2 years ago and my grandmother just before Christmas.

I have just found out that they have left me a small token inheritance. £300, not a massive amount, but to them it was.

Now I would like to get something that I will keep for ever. Other family members are buying jewellery etc , But I don't do bling!

I was thinking along the lines of a private plate, as I will keep this forever, and I will constantly see it as a reminder.

However, my missus isn't convinced, so has made me think twice.

I like the idea, just want to see what other peoples opinions are before i commit!

I've been looking at the following plate. Closet I can find for the price!

M80 RTA

My nannies name was Martha :)

So, good or bad idea?

(and If anyone can find any other plates at the £250 mark which are better, let me know!)

My grandparents names were Martha and John Sadler....

A private/personal plate is just that. Something that is personal to you. It will be something you can keep with you and if it brake it you can buy new ones without sacraficing the sentimental value. I think it is a wonderful idea :D good luck

Stacey
x

personally mate i would go with one relating to yourself so i wouldnt go with the nannies name try surname?

getting a private plate is a great idea though

Its a brilliant idea and something you will indeed cherish for many many years. I've had mine for about 11 years now and still love seeing it put on my car.
I'd also try to find one that relates to you, doesnt mean anything less to your grandparents, just something from them to you!

Thanks for all the comments people !!

Greatly appreciated!

Ok, deffo going to get a plate now, just dont know what!

As mentioned, I may now get something related to myself, but every combo I come up with is taken!

BAH!

This could take a while :faint:

I like the idea, go for M80 RTA then you can always pass it to one of your grandkids one day. It's also a nice clean looking plate, plates are only a good idea if you keep your cars for a few years as it's a pain and £80 everytime to change it over.

Worth having a look on ebay.
I picked up a plate with all fees included for £170.

lovely idea mate, as mentioned get it to suit your name, im sure your granparents will be haooy lookin down regardless of name on it.. youll always remember they gave it to you.. :icon_thumright:

Good idea, but get something that relates to you i think rather than your nan or something Scottie

And when you see something you like, be sure to buy it straight away!!!

I waited for a few days after seeing "J6 WDE" which would be my perfect plate, and some fooker bought it :motz:

NANNY M for £250

nanvr.jpg

You could get busted for dodgy spacing, but i've seen plenty around doing it.

Thank you very much again for all your replies.

You have all totally convinced me!

Ok, the plate is bought :)

Decided to go with my name as most of you top people suggested

With the small budget, and stupid name I have , I have come up with

M77 CCL

Born in 1977, surname McClymont

That'll do for me :)

And before anyone goes and finds me a better one, DON'T, as I don't want to be kicking myself LOL

Well done scottie! Good to hear this has been sorted now.

Wish it was as simple as that Sarah!

Got to wait for the lazy fookers to send the forms out.............BAH!

LOL you'll get the certificate pretty soon.

Then it's down to DVLA local office to do the paperwork or you can send it.

Don't forget to contact your insurance when it's actually changed over.:icon_thumright:

In the meantime, you need to have the plates made up somewhere.

Pii

In the meantime, you need to have the plates made up somewhere.

Pii

I would, but they need the docs to make one up now!

So I will have to wait until the paperwork is here. :(

If you take it to your local dvla office you can have it done same day, but the queue's are wild sometimes. like the Plate BTW the M77 is a main motorway up in scotland. you will need to take your tax disc in MOT and V5 into the office tho.

Thanks for the info.

Nearest dvla office is in the big city .........might try and blag a trip up there!

Last time I went to my local DVLA, around 11am ish, was quiet, friendly lady did her bit, new tax disc etc and on the car within the hour! sorted!!!! Just remember your paperwork!

So all i need is my current v5, tax disc, mot and id?

So i dont need to wait for the paperwork they are sending me then?

Hmmmmmmmmm Might be off to Norwich in the afternoon :)

you will still need the paperwork that they are sending you out. and all of the above.
1 When you get the paperwork get some plates made up
2 Go to the dvla office with the paperwork tax disc v5 and mot have your car parked safe at home in the drive or in a private multi car park.( as you wont have a tax disc on it ect)
3 Get new documents from DVLA woman. tax disc mot V5 sup, so your car is now legal with the new plate.
4 Put your plates on the car and phone your insurance, Pay them £12 to change the details of the policy.
5 Drive off happy and dont change you car for a while as its a pain in the ***.

You dont need to take the tax disc from the car, just take a note of the long number from the edge of it, thats all they need, no need to remove it if you are actually in the car. DVLA will give you a replacement disc and an envelope to return the original back in.

Yeah thats true, i just give them the disc to save having to buy a stamp and post it back.
You can also do the whole process via Post just takes a little longer

Damn you Sarah. Made me mess my pants thinking I might be able to blag my new plate tomorrow.GRRRRRRRRRR

Back to waiting for the postman then!

Cheers for the info JAMEO !

No problem, you could get some show plates made up so you have them ready to go on the car but they might not pass an MOT if they dont have a postcode on them. but iv never had a problem with mine.

Aw! sorry you got your hopes up but hey it wont be long! Do some more detailing while waiting :o.k:

Going to get a set from dubmeister, so will have to wait a little while for docs to be sent etc before I get them anyway :(

demonplates don't require documents and they are MOT compliant.

The MOT just requires the plate color, spacing, font and the plate printing company printed with some other number (cant remember what it is) but yes they sorted me out faster than the certificate arriving.

The company details are tiny aswell so it not even noticeable which I was quite pleased with.

cheers pii, but I am going to go for pressed plates, and It appears that demon plates dont do them

Pressed plates, the German ones? Fantastic, I want those too

Lol ! Anything of mine you dont want ? lol!

I am a chicken, so I am going to go for legal uk pressed plates. The missus drives the car a lot, and i would never hear the end of it if she got pulled for dodgy plates!

I am a chicken, so I am going to go for legal uk pressed plates. The missus drives the car a lot, and i would never hear the end of it if she got pulled for dodgy plates!

Haa haa dont panic, i'm working off a list that was done when I got the car lol. I'm just racking my noggin for mods that not many have done! Still trying to get the TV working again, i'm in a non analogue area so now need digital and not easy to do unless willing to spend lots but I prefer to put the money to alloys etc.

Oooh very nice! I really wanted these but opted to save costs especially as my car has no external mods.

I am really keen to see these so make sure you post pics (even if they arent on the car).

:icon_thumright: