Car shaking/vibration at low revs

rickyquicky

Reaction score
Has anyone ever felt like a minor shaking or vibration through the car at low revs?

I've got the 2.0 tdi and between 1400-2100 rpm with a little throttle you can feel a lot of feedback from the engine through the car.

Its similar to a wheel being out of balance, but ive tested it and its 100% not the wheels and is definately coming from the engine.

The engine seems to be running well, anyone on here experienced this? There is a definate 'shake' coming from the engine at low revs.

Yeah - sounds a bit like mine - there are threads on here that suggest it might be the dual mass flywheel. Mine is a 2006 2.0tdi sportback ( BDK engine ) and it does the same slowing down and coming to rest.

Any answers we get will be most helpful.

Cheers

tried a throttle body adaptation, should improve your idling and hopefully eliminate the shaking for you

I have exact same prob mines a 2.0TDI DSG, quite a nasty shake/vibration. Have to accelerate to get over it. Have took it to Audi and they cant even spot a fault lol. x

Whats a throttle body adaptation?

And how can you tell if its the flywheel? Surely if it was the flywheel it would get worse as revs rise? Mine is usually bad only at low revs

firstly a nice cean of the throttle body folowwed by an adaptation is a form of data reset in vag com check the ross tech wiki for a how to

Cheers for the suggestion mate, it gives me a starting point to start troubleshooting.

Also, do DSG-equipped cars have a flywheel? Isn't it just standard auto flexplate and torque converter?

I also have a 2.0TDI manual and my car is very jumpy at idol. I had it serviced not long ago and when i took it in i mentioned it. The guy said 'yeah its probs the oil filter' ??? Noidea, but it wasnt that anyway lol.

Could the timing belt have anything to do with this. I'm just passed 55,000 miles on the clock and was told by someone that it may need changing at this amount of miles??

it may need changing but i cant see it causeing that much of an erratic idle, as for ricky id imagine so mate but im not expert on autos or dsgs, never had one so never worked on one

Needing a cambelt change wont make your car run poorly (unless its 300,000 miles/15 years old and stretched to f*^% lol.)

The shaking is getting a little worse now I reckon...sitting at idle today and the car was shaking slightly, opened up the bonnet and the engine is quite clearly moving/shaking more than it should at idle.

Definately an engine problem, im thinking proper shot engine mount, or if DSG has a flywheel then that.

Flywheel!

Bish Bash Bosh

Do you know what other symptoms the car would have if it was the flywheel? I presume DSG auto cars use a flywheel then.

Wouldnt it be shaky at all revs? As shouldnt it get worse the higher up in the rev range you go?

My engine is only creating more movement at certain RPM's, and only seems to do it when power is applied or im cruising and at sometimes at idle. It seems more like an intermittent problem???

Mine is a manual and was very intermittent, not so noticeable through the rev range but particularly around tick-over to 1400 rpm. When coming to a stop at traffic lights for instance, the car would shudder violently as if it were about to stall even though I had the clutch dipped while I braked to a stop. My Audi dealer couldn't get the car to replicate the problem on a test drive and there were no fault codes, but the agreed to change the clutch and flywheel under warranty and the problem hasn't resurfaced in 30K

Dammit! That sounds just like mine...was really hoping it wouldnt be the flywheel.

Mine also feels like a wheel is out of balance when you drive down the road sometimes, theres loads of feedback from the engine.

Who suggested the flywheel change? The dealer?

I said to them that I had heard flywheels were an issue on these cars and caused these kind of symptoms, they agreed with no quibble and got the work done. Audi Tonbridge if you were wondering, about 20 minutes from jct 4 of the M25, I rate them very highly.

Mine never vibrated much when driving, but I lived with it for around 15k until the clutch started slipping and then went to Audi with it.

Did yours make a sound at all?

Been looking at a few videos of bad dual mass flywheels and they all seem to make a 'clattering' noise.

My engine is silent (for a diesel) but its just shaking too much to be right.