Brake pulsing when rolling to rest/stop in neutral

c_w

Reaction score
I notice occasionally that when coming to a slow stop, usually say in neutral there is a wobble/pulsing from what appears to be the brakes. It's a similar feeling to when you are driving in too high a gear and the engine is almost stalling. BUT the brakes are fine and the engine is idling smoothly.

The brakes are totally smooth at all other times - I'm quite famiiar with juddery brakes/warped discs etc and the brakes don't suffer from any of that (plus usually this shows as vibration at medium/high speeds but they are totally smooth at all times apart from very slow speed).

It's not that noticeable unless you are driving very gently and slowing down very slowly. It occurs from about 5mph when your pressing the brakes lightly, it's very wierd!! :shrug:

It's 56-reg 2.0 TDi not sure if it was a late 2006 or 2007 registered car though.

i was reading the s3 manual and it says when the wipers are on the brakes will pulse slightly every so often so it get rid of any water between the disc and pad. could it be a fault with this system?

Mine's a 2005 with the same (BKD) engine. I have read threads on here that suggest the 'dual mass flywheel' can be the cause of the problem but I don't know whether it will get worse or whether we just live with it !

Anyone with any info.? It will be much appreciated

Cheers

It is very strange (definitely not a warped disc), it feels like the engine is stalling (but idle is constant) and there isn't really any feedback through the pedal more the "car", but it's more like a wobble than a vibration if that makes sense. As I say it's not easy to notice or make it do it under normal driving, just when creeping forward at walking pace.

I find that depressing the clutch just before coming to a halt sometimes ( but not always ) prevents the vibration/wobble.

No other symptoms or wobble at any other speed and brakes fine.