K&N Panel filter help!!!!

HIGGINS

Reaction score
I currently drive a AUDI A3 2.0TDI 170 S-LINE QUATTRO and im having trouble fitting it, here is the engine:

Just behind where the audi logo is there is a bolt do i take this off?

where does the filter go? :p

im a noob here sorry haha ive just about got the car.

the filter goes in the box on the right next to the bit with the x on top

Air box is the part on the front right in front of the battery. There will be a few screws to pop out, and then just swap over from the paper one.

Is it the green bit of the blue bit i need to screw off and replace?

thought we had all decided that oily filters like the K&N were bad for your MAF meter?

That's why I run a dry Pipercross. VAG MAF's are a piece of crap at the best of time, they don't need any more help in dying!

In a word no i wouldnt bother,unless your bothered about a tiny bit more intake noise but power wise no difference

Strange, I'd completely disagree. No noticeable difference in intake noise, but I've always found diesels respond better to a panel filter than any petrol car.

thought we had all decided that oily filters like the K&N were bad for your MAF meter?

They are,i have a k+n at home that was fitted to mine. Defo not good on diesels.
Anyone can have mine for free if there in derbyshire,i have the cotton green one

Brilliant ive fitted it, it was reallllly easy haha. First time for everything though,

thanks for the help

Brilliant ive fitted it, it was reallllly easy haha. First time for everything though,

thanks for the help

It won't be good when your maf is $hagged mate.I would do a bit more research if i was you.
I am only trying to offer some friendly advise.
I had one in my a3 tdi and removed it straight away and the guy i got it from also said i should do

ill make sure the MAF sensor is kept nice and clean :) ill keep an eye on it.

mate is it really worth risking it? when u can get a cotton green for 50 quid and is concidered the best filter for the 2.0tdi. just dont wanna see u damage ur car mate

i'm with the MAF-ia on here, dont fit a K&N else you will be forking out £150+ on a MAF, I found out the hard way, MAF's are impossible to keep clean safely anyway, they are too delicate to be messing with.

Strange, I'd completely disagree. No noticeable difference in intake noise, but I've always found diesels respond better to a panel filter than any petrol car.
Agree to not agree there then mate,i have always found an aftermarkets panel filter more noisey as they are a lot more easy flowing equalling more air passing through the again equalling more of an intake noise but as for freeing the car up i didnt notice anything at all,the only thing i have found to sharpen up the respone on a diesel was to put a more free flowing exhaust on and get rid of the soot cannister/cat not saying your wrong but this is my experience on a diesel astra and my gttd150 golf,plus people who have fitted panel filters have made little or no difference at all on dyno bhp outputs even thought i know there are many thousands who have had no issues but then again thousands who have the extra risk of damaging the fibres on the maf with oil i could never see the point

The point is Phil, a K&N will not flow more air and therefore make more noise. The amount of air flowed is governed by the swept volume of the cyl's. IE: the amount t they can suck in. Its highly unlikely you would reach a point on a low reving diesel where a std paper filter could not flow enough air. the only real benefit of K&N is longer life. the only time a AM panel filter might help is if used with a free flow exhaust...Its no good opening the taps one end unless you pull the plug out the other :)...
A turbo obviously over comes the swept volume problem but the std paper filter is designed to cope with that.

Thats why i said about the exhuast,i was on about where as people who are simply on about fitting an air filter and thinking they might see a gain on a diesel with nothing else done,if they did want to go for one i would recommend the ITG or green filters as they dont come massively oiled,sorry if i seemed like i shot of the rails there but it was meant in the way of on a standard car with standard exhuast there are other things i would spend on first, i was thinking if he meant in - would a filter gain anything kind of way instead of a filter to save replacement for a few years kind of way.me bad sorry :redface: