EM TuningChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

CAI Cool-Air Tube Heat Shield

Came across this a few months ago and seemed like a good idea

Keep your induction air cool with this unique lace up tube cover. The design of the cover allows it to fit from 2-1/2 inch to 3-1/2 inch air tubes up to 36 inches long. The lace on heat shield blocks over 98% of the radiant heat of the turbo and exhaust.

I work as a aircraft gas turbine engineer and have seen similar technology used for wrapping harnesses to protect them from heat. I managed to source a heatshield from my work that had been scrapped. Its constructed of heat resistant fibres with a reflective foil exterior and a heat reflective silicone inner. Same idea as the above product but a far higher quality standard.

Removed my CAI today and fitted the heatshield. Took a bit of time to get it to fold neatly round the bends but i think it turned out pretty good.

Cheers Davie
    Last edited by david_phillips95; 31st March 2010 at 20:51.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    yeah looks good m8 will have to get me some from ur work lol
    GIAC pump & race map WITH CONTROLER, VF ITAKE ,AUTOTECH HPFP,MV DOWNPIPE & MILTEK CAT BK,RS4 REG,UPRATED OEM DV, CUSTOM ENGINE COVER, BOOST GAUGE & POD, H&R SPRINGS, OEM BLACK WHEELS, FORGE CATCH TANK AND WASHER BOTTLE ,RNS-E SAT NAV BLUETOOTH,FLAT BOTTOM, BUCKETS,PRE-FACE TAILLIGHTS TINTS

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    I would be shocked if there was any benefit. The air is sucked through at such a speed, I can't see wh the pipe being a bit warmer will actually warm the air travelling through it significantly.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    I would be shocked if there was any benefit. The air is sucked through at such a speed, I can't see wh the pipe being a bit warmer will actually warm the air travelling through it significantly.
    The intake pipe through time heats up from heat radiating from the engine. This foil cover will keep the intake piping alot cooler which means the air passing through is going to be cooler.

If heat doesnt effect the intake then tell me why do EVOMS manufacture a heatshield for above the turbo??

The cooler the better, at least i know the air im inducting is as cool as i can get it.

Cooler Air = more BHP

Davie
    Last edited by david_phillips95; 3rd April 2010 at 01:50.

3rd Gear

Status
    Great choice for a CAI ! I love that one. Dry sock and silver leggins FTW

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    The intake pipe through time heats up from heat radiating from the engine. This foil cover will keep the intake piping alot cooler which means the air passing through is going to be cooler.

If heat doesnt effect the intake then tell me why do EVOMS manufacture a heatshield for above the turbo??

The cooler the better, at least i know the air im inducting is as cool as i can get it.

Cooler Air = more BHP

Davie
    I totally agree cooler air = more bhp. I'm just not convinced that the air will be warmed up significantly travelling through a warm pipe at speed.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Price ? I guess the idea is OK and looks neat but reflective heat tape has been around for years and if your not to worried about looks the same effect can be done with 10 pence worth of kitchen foil.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

5th Gear

Status
    I totally agree cooler air = more bhp. I'm just not convinced that the air will be warmed up significantly travelling through a warm pipe at speed.
    I used the same gold reflective tape used in the engine bay of the McLaren F1 and Vagcom showed a small but tangible difference in intake temperatures:
    http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread...ight=gold+tape
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

3rd Gear

Status
    every little helps though, its going to provide cooler air than it did before so thats good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    Price ? I guess the idea is OK and looks neat but reflective heat tape has been around for years and if your not to worried about looks the same effect can be done with 10 pence worth of kitchen foil.
    Price = 0.00, as it was getting chucked at my work i got it for nothing, for the lace up one pictured in my original post your looking at around 70.00 IIRC. As it was a cost free mod i thought i would give it a go cant get much better than a free modification.

Air Ride is for Ballers!!

Status
    id like to know weather it does make much of a difference because today while messing around with my car i couldnt help but notice how hot the intake pipe actually was when id been out in it, surely if its cooler the engine will run better??