CLUTCH SLIP!!!

panamadi

Strider
Reaction score
Was having a nice burn round some country roads today and think Ive experienced the dreaded clutch slip
Basically put my foot down in 4th and the revs go up but there's a slight hesitatin in power-doesn't seem to do it all the time though.
So my questions are:
1. will the problem get worse or stay about the same
2. it seems to be intermittent-what am I doing to cause it?
3.if it needs changing am i best going for an aftermarket clutch or staying OEM
4. does the clutch being worn place any strain on the other parts of the transmission/drivetrain

BTW Its a blufinned S3 with 40k on the clock and no other mods...

Dammit I wanted a CAI this summer :(

Cheers in advance lads

Was having a nice burn round some country roads today and think Ive experienced the dreaded clutch slip
Basically put my foot down in 4th and the revs go up but there's a slight hesitatin in power-doesn't seem to do it all the time though.
So my questions are:
4. does the clutch being worn place any strain on the other parts of the transmission/drivetrain

BTW Its a blufinned S3 with 40k on the clock and no other mods...

Dammit I wanted a CAI this summer :(

Cheers in advance lads

the problem will get worse

the clutch will usually slip at peak torque which is around 3000 - 4000 rpm so trying to accelerate in high gears at low rpm will cause it to slip e.g putting the foot down in 4th at 2500rpm

i changed my clutch when it started slippin for an uprated sachs pressure plate and disc, i also replaced the dual mass flywheel with a new one. Performs far better than standard and will cope easily with stage 2+ power.

no it shouldnt cause any strain but i wouldnt get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Cheers Davie

Mines slipping at the mo, 23k. In 4th it slips when you try to boot it then catches. 4, dont think so. You fancy a forge CAI, with gold heat wrap?

You can do a clutch slip test;put handbrake on, start up, put it in 5th gear with the clutch down, rev to 2500rpm and lift off with the clutch pedal and the engine will stall if the clutch is ok, BUT if the clutch is worn then the engine will carrying on reving up if the clutch is worn.
Very simple test and very effective