Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

Thumbs up Full geometry setup

I'm taking my car to the garage which fitted my coilovers and ARB's to have the ARB bushes regresed this weekend. They've told me that they can now do full geo setup including rear on the A3's and it will be 90 inc VAT. Is this a good price?

I have Weitec coilovers and Eibach ARB's fitted (see sig). What changes could be made to the geo to improve handling/feedback? They have told me that the geo on the rear "really improves the handling" so interested to know if it's worth it, what the negatives are and what I should ask them to set it to? Front and rear, for good performance/handling without absolutely killing the tyres or anything else.

Cheers,
    Scott

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Out of all the places I've read up on, this 1 place in Liverpool is the best for doing geo/alignment on lowered cars, run by a south african couple.
    Last edited by N8; 31st March 2010 at 14:19.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

S3 (8P)

Status
    I paid 65 but was quoted upto 90
    90 doesnt sound too much as long as you get a proper job.

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Out of all the places I've read up on, this 1 place in Liverpool is the best for doing geo/alignment on lowered cars, run by a south african couple.
    Cheers Nath - I'm only really thinking of taking it this place as I'm going there already for the ARB's.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    I paid 65 but was quoted upto 90
    90 doesnt sound too much as long as you get a proper job.

Paul
    I've been told:

"Our equipment makes adjustments for drop and wheel size, how ever if you have a set of specs you want me to work to then bring them along. The front only has toe, this will need to be reset after the rear end is adjusted. The rear end has camber and toe adjustments."

They use a Supertracker wheel alignment system I believe.

Are there any figures they should be working towards for front toe, rear camber and toe?
    Last edited by Scott; 31st March 2010 at 14:41.

4th Gear

Status
    i would suggest leaving the rear toe as spec (although after lowering it will probably be far to much), but you could reduce the rear camber from -1.5 to around -1.2 or -1.0- this moves the top of the wheel out to fill the arches more so check it doesnt catch with spacers or low offset wheels

your lowering will have increased front negative camber and this is a good thiing - keep the factory front toe as well.

ideally you should have more negative camber at the front than the rear, although if they are similar at about -1.0 or -1.5 (unlikely on a lowered a3) then that would help front end grip and to reduce understeer.
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Sent you a pm dunk.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dunk View Post
    i would suggest leaving the rear toe as spec (although after lowering it will probably be far to much), but you could reduce the rear camber from -1.5 to around -1.2 or -1.0- this moves the top of the wheel out to fill the arches more so check it doesnt catch with spacers or low offset wheels

your lowering will have increased front negative camber and this is a good thiing - keep the factory front toe as well.

ideally you should have more negative camber at the front than the rear, although if they are similar at about -1.0 or -1.5 (unlikely on a lowered a3) then that would help front end grip and to reduce understeer.
    Thanks mate. I'm trying to understand that lol but it doesn't really make much sense to me....
    What do I need to ask for? if my car has been lowered and had basic alignment done, should I just leave? or is this worth it?

cheers!

6th Gear

Status
    You tried Midland VW Scott? They are doing a full geo set up for 60 at the mo and they have just had some state of the art machine installed last month so it will be good! Jody told me for that they spend at least an hour "tinkering" until its perfect.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    You tried Midland VW Scott? They are doing a full geo set up for 60 at the mo and they have just had some state of the art machine installed last month so it will be good! Jody told me for that they spend at least an hour "tinkering" until its perfect.
    Hi mate, sent you a pm, cheers.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    I have been to Midland VW for this just the other week. The machinery is awesome, all on screen for dummies like me. Jody is great and will always explain and try his best to get the best out of the car.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour