VMR 710 19's help

darren_wheeler

Reaction score
hi guys, i know the whole wheel and tyres thing has been done over and over, but i still dont seem to have definitive answer yet, and the car has arrived and i need to get these sorted
S3 sportback, with H&R 25mm springs. i have the wheels ready which are VMR 710's
45 offset
8.5x19
its either 215/35/19 or 225/35/19
i dont have a problem removing the screw on the arch liner and would prefer 225's.
some say that 225's will work on a BBS CH which has a 50 offset with no rub, but will i get away with it on a 45 offset.
if its a real no no then i will have to settle on 215, but ideally i want the 225's.

any help would be great.

many thanks in advance

I think you will find that you can get away with more on the 3 door rather than the 5. I think raps found this out the hard way on his s3 sportback.

I would got 215 , as he had to change from 225 to 215 due to massive rubbidge!

N8 is the expert but with 8.5J I think you will need to look at 215 to avoid rubbing. Nice wheels btw :)

if you get et 50 225 should be ok with et 45 you ll have to have 215 , the 3 door is different

thanks guys, it seems that 215 it is then. looking forward to getting it next week and having it all sorted. will get a few pics up as and when.

I reckon you'd be ok with 225's and a relatively small drop. On a performance car, I think running a skinnier tyre than it's spec'd with from the factory is a bad move.

I ran 8.5x19's with 235's and got rubbing, but pretty sure with 225's and a moderate (i.e. 25mm) drop it'd be hunky dory.

Remember though his is a 5 door Pete, and they are less forgiving :)

~Did you get your new rims Pete?

Last edited:
VMR 710's 19 X 8.5 ET 45 will fit just fine with 225/35/19. 215 gives the stretch and poke look and looks bad. Rubbing is way of life with 19's. It will occur for around 2 months on bumps and dips and with people in the back. As the tire wears down the wheel well liner ,after around 200 miles, the rubbing will stop. Just remove the screw and don't worry about filing down the tab. My tires are just fine without any damage and I'm OCD.

Remember though his is a 5 door Pete, and they are less forgiving :)

~Did you get your new rims Pete?

I can understand that, I'd never forgive myself either for getting a 5 door.

I paid for my new rims months ago. Whether I've "got them" as such depends on what exactly you mean by "got them". I've got a picture...

I can understand that, I'd never forgive myself either for getting a 5 door.

I paid for my new rims months ago. Whether I've "got them" as such depends on what exactly you mean by "got them". I've got a picture...

I mean got them as ' have them' :) A picture will do, I need to see what you are going to be sleazing !

You hate diesels and 5 doors, so I guess there is no pics of my car hanging up around your bedroom then, lmfao

I joke about, the Sportback looks fine. The mini-estate look works better than 5 door Golfs, etc.

Not a fan of diesels though, you got me there!

I mean got them as ' have them' :) A picture will do, I need to see what you are going to be sleazing !

Yeah not got them yet, but I've been promised on good authority that Friday is the big day! So excited I can hardly sleep.... no pics before they go on though!

VMR 710's 19 X 8.5 ET 45 will fit just fine with 225/35/19. 215 gives the stretch and poke look and looks bad. Rubbing is way of life with 19's. It will occur for around 2 months on bumps and dips and with people in the back. As the tire wears down the wheel well liner ,after around 200 miles, the rubbing will stop. Just remove the screw and don't worry about filing down the tab. My tires are just fine without any damage and I'm OCD.

I ran mine for approx 300 miles and they rubbed without anyone in the back even over the slightest bump/dip in the road. It was also lowered on H&R springs, so not even wound down on coilovers. Although different wheels, they were the same size and offset as above.

I also took the screw out and filed down the bumper tab slightly

It may have been down to the tyre make why mine rubbed and tcardios stopped after 200 miles. (mine were Falken's)

Personally though I couldnt live with a £30k car rubbing going along the road, just doesnt work for me.

I've now changed the tyres to 215's with no rubbing and no noticable difference in traction, even when pushing on. However if I was after all out performance I'd stick to a higher offset and run 225 or 235's and maybe even stick with 18's not 19's. But like I've said before, for me I was after the looks more than all out performance / handling so a little compromise was do-able.

In comparison to the standard 18's on 225's on standards springs the ride is harsher on the 19's with 215's with H&R springs, but nothing more than would be expected and certainly not an issue.

I ran 8.5x19 with a 235 ET50, on H&R's no issues at all

I just got the VMR VB3's installed on mine running the Marangoni Mythos 225/35 19's... and have the H&R Sport springs with Koni FSD's getting installed in a couple of weeks. (when the FSD's actually get here)

On stock suspension the 225's are just fine but I have some concerns as to what will happen when the car gets dropped.... here are a couple of pics of what the offset seems to look like.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

and here is what the sidewall looks like... it looks pretty stretched already on 225's and a couple of people on Fortitude are looking at switching from 215's to 225's because of problems with blowouts on contact with potholes.

IMG_0175.jpg

End result on stock S-Line suspension....

HDR1xsml.jpg

I've heard a lot of people running this setup and none of them seems to be having any major rubbing issues but seeing just how far the wheel sticks out makes me nervous

Last edited:
Gryphoon! I love those vb3's man! Want them for my S3 but not sure if they gonna fit nice..What offset are they??

You'll be fine! Your suspension setup will not lower you as much as you think. The quarter panel lip will fit over the wheel. Get used to a little rubbing for awhile. It's just a fender kiss. Your lip protector gives the appearance of more stretch but its the same stretch as mine. Take the front and rear screws out.

Gryphoon! I love those vb3's man! Want them for my S3 but not sure if they gonna fit nice..What offset are they??

The offset is 45 as far as I know and I believe that that is the only offset that VMR offers which will fit the A3. Don't quote me on that though.

You'll be fine! Your suspension setup will not lower you as much as you think. The quarter panel lip will fit over the wheel. Get used to a little rubbing for awhile. It's just a fender kiss. Your lip protector gives the appearance of more stretch but its the same stretch as mine. Take the front and rear screws out.

I can live with a little rubbing, just as long as the fender doesn't kiss the damn wheel. the rear screw is already out the fronts will be out by the time the shocks get here. One thing I noticed going from my 17" winters to the 19's is that while the ride comfort over large bumps is not much worse... you get to feel ever goddamn crack in the road.:jump:

Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Quick note for anyone looking at VB3's ... I just got an email from VMR about the rubbing issue I experienced. They say they never heard of it before but apparently the MkV GTI needs 3mm spacers for the wheels to clear the calipers.... same calipers that we happen to have on the A3. Just fair warning, and it only seems to apply to the VB3 wheels. In my case I didn't know about the issue so had no spacers and ended up having to grind down a bit of the calipers to get the wheels to spin freely.