Setting adaptive bi-xenons for use in Europe

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well folks, I'm off to Europe in the next few days, and I've been scouring the FAQ's for what I should and shouldn't do.

So far I have purchased:
1) a fire extinguisher
2) 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5w30 (Longlife)
3) 2 yellow hi-vis vests (2 of us are going)
4) 5* premium Green Flag breakdown cover
5) Fully comprehensive insurance for Europe
6) Rear plate with GB logo on it (I hate GB stickers on the boot)

I've also:
1) checked to see I have a warning triangle in boot (& lock wheel nut / jack)
2) Had the wheels refurbished, tyres refitted, balanced and checked (overkill, but they happened to need it anyway)
3) Had the car fully serviced at Audi yesterday
4) Got all relevant documentation together (V5 / Driving license / insurance / breakdown / passports etc...)
5) Got Revo switch
6) Got a small Halfrauds Pro toolkit, a mix of metal and plastic cable ties, some pipe repair tape, insulation tape, couple of jubilee clips
7) Got a range of spare bulbs and fuses
8) Checked my RNS-E DVD goes as far as I am planning to!

Sat there fairly pleased with myself thinking I'd got all bases covered.....

I had forgotten I haven't converted bi-adaptive xenons for European roads. So I go to FAQ section and read Dave's comprehensive post on adjusting them using VCDS LINKY. Problem is, I don't have VCDS as the group buy fell through, and I've spent over £3k in the last 2 months on car related guff.

Never being one to give up I wondered whether there was a plan B. You cannot use lens stickers on bi-xenons (so I read), but one other guide that seemed to offer a rather complex alternative was this post found on one of the Golf forums: LINKY

Has anyone done the mechanical fix, and is it easy? Is there any detail on what age cars you can make these changes on (seems that 05 cars you have the switch, but no indication of when they ended).

I'd go to my local dealer, but they won't have the first idea what language I'm speaking in, or whether it's an Audi I am driving :tocktock:

Looking forward to the journey now. A bit of 'Ringing' and hopefully a bit of Audi Museum should be on the cards, so roll on the weekend and let's all hope the Bank Holiday weather improves....yeah right!

Euro's are the worst part! Not far off a pound a Euro these days. At least their petrol is a touch cheaper.

And the Ring tolls have gone up again this year 88 Euros for 4 laps :crying:

Just lower them a few turns with a screwdriver warren as the vcds tourist mode only does this anyway mate.

Good thread this will use this before doing modball in june