How do you run in your new car?

pillboy88

Reaction score
Just wondering, what do people do to run in their new cars? Many different theories out there, some say keep it off the highways before 1000KM, some say keep the speed below 80km/h until first oil change, some say get first oil change around 1000km, some say 5000km...

So what is the proper method to run in a brand new car?

Some say ignore all that and just drive it as you would normally from the word go......? Loads of theories :confused:

I'd be curious of what people think about this too. Does is make a difference for diesel/petrol cars? Never had a diesel before, but will have a new one to run in soon.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but as far as I can tell it actually depends on what kind of engine you have. They generally reccommend TDi's and TSFI's get driven quite hard to seat the rings and that FSI engines get driven a little less spirited to begin with I believe. I think this applies for the first 5k miles where you're also not reccommended to hold constant RPMs.

But like I say, I'm not an expert. :icon_thumright:

only ever had new bikes, i thrashed them out the crate ! never had any problems, if anything it made them a faster,looser engine.
my theory was if its gonna go bang, let it go bang under warrenty

I would always advise people to drive the car below 3k for the 1st thousand miles to allow the internals to bed in, not thrashing it as that will only cause excess heat when it as not bedded in and poss damage.
Every engine i have ever built i put a card on the steering saying 'do not go over 3k for the 1st thousand miles'

Thanks for all the advice, I will likely side on the cautious side and keep it low revs for the first 1000... Hope that's the right way to do it...

As soon as mine was warmed up I gave it 'some' beans (and when I say warmed up, I mean 15 minutes of running).

I didn't thrash the @r$e off of it, just moderate and increasing revving.

It uses significantly less oil than any car I've run in conservatively, and it feels fast enough.

Most engines are almost pre-run in these days, and it was more of a consideration when the world was black and white and cars were made during 3 days weeks in the midlands they needed treating with that level of caution. Each to their own though, you certainly won't hurt it doing it your way.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but as far as I can tell it actually depends on what kind of engine you have. They generally reccommend TDi's and TSFI's get driven quite hard to seat the rings and that FSI engines get driven a little less spirited to begin with I believe. I think this applies for the first 5k miles where you're also not reccommended to hold constant RPMs.

But like I say, I'm not an expert. :icon_thumright:

Oh Dear :(

Some of these posts just reminded me as to why I but a new car :p

It says in the manual how you are supposed to run it in, personally if I had my way I would have the oil and filter changed after 1k miles, but as for me I generally try and stick to the book, though not always as easy as it seems :)
I do agree the old cars that were new and new engines probably needed more respect than new ones of today.

There are loads of 'views' on the right way to do it, but extensive testing on bike engines have found that the harder the engines are run in the better they seal and they can offer upto 15% more performance than a gently run in counterpart.

When I say I ran mine in harder, I just drove it as I would on any other day, and there appear to be no more ill effects than anyone else suffers.

Start as you mean to go on! Mine was remapped at 198 miles!

I say rag the ****** off it from day 1 and drive as you would normally

I read up on this when I was expecting my new car (Tdi). Decided that no more than 2,750rpm until warm (not just the water temp, but the oil temp up to operating level which i hadn't realised, could be viewed on the DIS). Then up to 4,000 ish for first 1,000 miles. After 1,000 miles, I'll start looking for the rev limiter...........occasionally.

i dont run in my new car, i drive it :lmfao:
seriously though, i didnt bother!
i just tore up the roads as i drove out of the dealership.
thats what freeway plan/warranty/guarantees are for right?

never run my cars in... never ran my cooper s or my S3... this doesnt mean i kaned it from day one.. like warren said i drove it like i planned to drive it every day... was told by a american guy who built race engines that running a car in slowly will actually have affect on end performance.. as warren said.. they are generally looser. Maybe thats the reason my car remapped to 330bhp???