Looking for my first Audi ...

hob_nob_rob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am on the look out for my first ever Audi- pretty excited. Ideally im after an A3 3.2 v6. I had contemplated the 2.0 TDI, but the appeal of a V6 is getting the better of me. Better performance and sounds really nice.

I have about £7500 to spend and would quite like to get something with a reasonable level of trim/toys. in order to get the bits i want, the cars have somehwere in the region of 50-70k on them. is there anything in particular i should be looking out for on 3.2s with such mileage? i have seen that the timing chain slapping about is a fairly common thing. Also the hesitation at 2000rpm (seems people have now found a fix). is there anything else i should be looking for? is 70k high miles for this engine?

Also DSG or no DSG.... a couple of colleagues have commented on reliability/cost to replace the DSG on the Audis. i quite like the idea of it, but they were semi-concerned with the amount of torque going through the dsg. Are they talking cr@p?

I might be looking at this one:
http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehiclesearch/used/audi-used-car-lr04wyd.html?qs=false&type=1

price seems fair... just the mileage had me wondering!

cheers in advance for any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Rob

Thats a great price for a dealer! You ok with the fuel economy then? The TDI does around 100% extra MPG than the V6?

Mines DSG and I love it!

My drive to work is about 8 miles. Girlfriend lives about 10 miles away. So I dont rack up huge mileage! I do the occasional LONG journey which would hurt the wallet... but then again im 24, so figured ive got a few years to come where i can worry about MPG. how does the diesel performance compare?

Rob

I drove a 3.2 yesterday for the first time and really liked it.
Makes a superb noise,

Good luck

Paul

My drive to work is about 8 miles. Girlfriend lives about 10 miles away. So I dont rack up huge mileage! I do the occasional LONG journey which would hurt the wallet... but then again im 24, so figured ive got a few years to come where i can worry about MPG. how does the diesel performance compare?

Rob

Sure, the V6 sounds lovely, nice and smooth and is pretty quick but you would be suprised at how well a TDI can go! When chipped they can keep up with a V6 any day of the week. My brother has been driving an R32 (essentially the same car) for 3 years now and he says he struggles to shrug my TDI off unless we end up going over 130mph and i havent had mine chipped yet!

Also at 24 your insurance will be 2-300 more on the V6 than the TDI, I know because I looked when buying mine......and the tax is twice as much per year!

..................are you sold on tractor power yet? lol

You should test drive both to see which one you prefer.
I haven't tested 3.2 myself, but I can tell you that I get 420 miles when I fill up, before the low fuel light goes yellow on my dash.
Also when the turbo kicks in it puts a nice smile on my face.

Up to you to decide.

Well I have the 3.2 and love him to bits!!! I've had the 2.0 TDI and much prefer my V6. Sounds ace, goes like a train esp in sport mode, it flies! My vote is choose DSG, absolutley fab, just do the Haldex oil changes and its sweet! The TDI might map well but will have turbo issues at some point!! Good luck, exciting times.....

Sarah, what does the Haldex oil change improve? does it allow the quattro system to 'engage' properly/better? OR is it the linakge from DSG box to the haldex??

cheers,

Rob