A3 S-Line 170 DSG - New Pics/Work

Indie_DSG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a member for some years now and had my A3 8P S-Line 170 DSG for a year.
It has taken me an age to do the little things but hey, earning money takes priority right!
First thing I did was to replace the shocking Front Speaker and put Infinity Kappa Components in the car.
There are loads of Install threads on the site and it was very helpful, the door cards can be a bit of a bitch!

Second job was fitting my Old Faithful Stereo, Vibe sub and iPod.
Third job was a boost gauge, I bought one for my Ibiza FR but sold the car, it was only logical to install it in the A3!

Both jobs presented me with a problem of cable routing! Lots of people say there is a good engine bay grommet route, I spent 3 hours looking to no avail, best option for me was to go through the door wiring loom rubbers and down the side of the wheel arch to the engine!

Second problem was running boost pipe! I went the same route in the end.
I linked the electrics to the boost gauge straight to the fuse box which is drivers side dash area, trim removal necessary! Again tips on threads on this site will help.
I used a pigyback fuse to ensure the gauge only came on when ignition was on.

Finally today, I picked up my refurbished S0Line 18's from Lepsons Wheel Refurbishments in Gillingham.
Top job was done and Shane @ Lepsons Tyres sorted out swapping my tyres over, top bloke!

Image posts are new to me so I have just lumped all pictures below!

If anyone wants any advice on how too's etcsimply post back or PM me.

I would also appreciate your feedback :)

New jobs in April:

Weitec Coilover Install
Cupra Splitter Fit
FK Grill Fit

Photo0131.jpg
Photo0134.jpg
Photo0132.jpg
Photo0129.jpg
Photo0130.jpg
Photo0220.jpg
Photo0222.jpg
Photo0218.jpg

I had them done Matt Black, still a little shiny too!
I love the finish, better than expected!

Look up Lepsons on the web, they have 2 branches.
Swindon I think and Gillingham, Kent.

Best £300 I've spent!

loving the last pic of wheel! want mine done just like that!

great work :)

How did you change the tweeter ? And what did you change it with ?

Hi Digzz,

Firstly, try and get the proper trim removal tool from ???? somewhere, I broke 2 clips on the surround! Doh!

I replaced them with Infinity Tweeters.

Removed the trim carefully by 'picking' at it, it should pop out eventually. The Audi stock tweeter is secured by a twist lock mechanism, simply twist the tweeter until it comes off.

The real tricky part was cutting away all the fixings on the back of the trim plate where the old tweeter went and making sure the new tweeter surround would sit flush on the front when done. Best tool for the job was a cutter we sell on the web http://www.repsole.com/Product.asp?PID=1483

I had to keep at it cutting very small amounts away so the hole wasn’t made too big. Eventually the new tweeter surround fitted snug enough and the sharp edges of the trim I cut almost helped it stay in place (The tweeter surround was ridges where a lock nut may have been used in different mount position)

Finally I aligned the new tweeter surround so that when the tweeter was in its final place the tweeter angle would be directed in to the cockpit as best as possible, once done I super glued the surround in place with no pressure or clamps (Best option, you don’t want the surround under force, vibration and re-fitting could break the glue and your left with ****** white glue marks all over the trim)

I ran all the cables in to the dash, I had to remove both end panels of the dash to get behind and locate the speaker wires (I ran fresh wires to the cross-over box which I fitted up behind the glove box out of the way.) I ran fresh cable to all new speaker and just taped off the original ones.

The trim was a bitch to get back in place but you have to take your time and persevere until it just pops back in!

hope that helps?