LED number plate Lights....help!!!!

V16

Reaction score
I ordered some led lights for the number plate of my car, i was looking for that white light u see on the new BMW number plates etc!

i went to fit my lights and they looked great, but then when i turned the engine on a warning light saying ''number plate light not working'' or something like that came up, checked the lights and they had stopped working! everytime i turn off the lights then back on they will work for a few seconds then turn off!

i know theres a way around this but how? any help would be great!

these are the led's i bought - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-A6-TT-CAR-LED-NUMBER-PLATE-BULBS_W0QQitemZ330351893901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cea81dd8d#ht_2706wt_1167

its because they are leds, the computor thinks theres nothing there cos the led takes hardly any power, u need to solder a resistor in with the bulb to trick the computor, there is a thread about led interior lights that will tell u what u need to know :)

Please read the last paragraph of the advert that you bought from. The computer on your car thinks the bulb has gone and switches the power off. Modern cars with 'canbus' systems require a certain amount of current draw in the bulbs for the computer to recognise that they are working. LED bulbs that do not have ballast resistors present a much lower current draw than normal bulbs and the computer thinks the bulb has blown.

Look for LED bulbs that are advertised as ' no canbus error ' if you want to proceed with the mod., or you need to solder ballast resistors in parallel across the LED's that you have, in order to fool the computer into thinking everything is ok !!

ok thats great. i might get a friend to solder the resistors as i don't think that will be my specialty. but cheers for your help.

oh and i've come across these bulbs http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-License-Plate-Lamp-Audi-A3-Q7-A4-RS4-A6-RS6-A8-4E_W0QQitemZ170457100914QQcategoryZ72209QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8796704402087461112#ht_6373wt_941

i dont think it says anything about 'no canbus error' but will these be able to work with no problems?

ah thats great!!! sounds to good to be true after seeing the other ones for like £40+
oh and sorry my car is a 2006 a3.

i'll try these out and let you or anyone else who's interested know if they work.

thanks a lot for your help :)

cheers mate but again it says ''Reported exceptions: Some Audi Q7, Audi A3 (2005-), Audi A4 (B7) 2005-2008, Golf MKV, Mercedes Benz W210.''

no harm tin trying them though but it seems to be a real problem for the a3's!! if they don't work i guess i'll stick with the halogen lights :(

thanks!

I'm sure there's a set that many people have used on here that are fine

Just trying to find the link now

V16 - just to keep you on track - the ones that are fitted as standard are just 'ordinary' bulbs, not Halogens ! And it isn't just a problem with A3's - it's a function of all modern cars with Canbus control systems ! Don't worry, you'll get there in the end !

Cheers

ah yeah i knew that :think:

but thanks for the help! hopefully will get some working non-error message bulbs soon!