iPhone/iPod connection

pillboy88

Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of their iphone/ipod connected in the glove box please? Also, can we control our music from the console or does it just work like an aux out?

Thanks!!

If you mean the older ipod console (not the new AMI) then all it does is turn your iPod into a CD changer. You can select the first 5 playlists as though they were CDs. The 6th plays all the tunes on the pod. You have track forward/back and fast forward/reverse but that's it, no real track names either. Just Track 1, Track 2.....
Goes looking for a pic...

Sorry, no ipod inserted.

IMG_0144.jpg

Thanks a lot for the photo, really appreciate it!!

So, the photo is the new type that's in the glove box correct? Actually, I'm about to buy a new A3 and was wondering what I can or cannot do with the ipod or iphone plugged in...

This is a pic from an 07 car, this is still available as option UF1 iPod connection for £180. This is not the same as the Audi Music Interface, for that you need DVD sat nav.
HTH

If you have the option I would go for the AMI as there are some major flaws with this shabby ipod glovebox solution.

- You don't get to contol the pod with the pod menus
- It works by using virtual CD changer slots and mapping playlist to CD 7 -12 with 12 being all songs (although I am not convinced this is 100% accurate)
- There is no track information so you will only have info such as Track 34
- Maybe just me but I find the volume lower than a CD which kind of bugs me as I think sound quality is lost

Saw a post on the newer AMI and all the pod menus are shown on the RNS-E with track info etc (no album art). However, this is a very costly solution...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, RNS-E isn't an option for me so I'm stuck with the glove box version. In addition, I was planning on using it with my iPhone which would be kinda dumb given my phone would then be in the glove box and I wouldn't be able to make or receive calls that way... So in all likelihood, I won't be using this function very much then... Thanks for all the info on this though.

You can still plug your iphone in using the Aux in connector in the center console. You'll just need a 3.5 to 3.5 mm cable. You'll save yourself £180 too!

That's a good point John!! Much better option...

BTW, the glove box connector comes standard in the batch of cars which I ordered from, so its not $180 wasted :)

The iPod dock is quite easily the worst thing about my A3. Avoid it at all costs! It annoys me just thinking about how hopeless it is :banghead:

Wish I had an aux-input instead.

Why don't you get a TOMTOM Cradle Holder ....I have 1 and it's wonderful ....:idea: