I'm sick of my coilovers!!!

Scott

Reaction score
I think my Weitec coilovers are creaking really bad. Whenever I go over a bump in the road or a speed bump, even at a very reasonable speed, much lower than I ought to be able to, I get a terrible 'grinding/creaking' sound. It sounds like it's the front left (N/S) but honestly I don't know. They have been on for less than a year, approx 10,000 miles, and it's started happening since the bad winter we've had. Any ideas on what I can do? What it could be? Anything else apart from coilovers? The car is an 09 plate, so hopefully nowt else. I really don't want to take it back to the garage as it's far. It also seems to come and go (ish) but tonight it's been very bad...

Cheers,
Scott

If it's f*cked, then it'll be under warranty. Shocks do fail sometimes, fact of life :(

I know how you feel! My K&W V3's started squeaking really badly in the winter. I took them back to AmD and got them replaced under warranty, I'm sure you will be able to do the same. Its not about noisy expensive coilovers!

I had to replace an FK rear shock when they were on my TDI

Check for leaks at the bottom of the shocks, maybe take them out and give them a good inspection

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I'd wager it's the ARBs, just had mine lubricated by Ben at AVP using a liquid grease that thickens up after application the difference is amazing, there was no charge as car was already on the ramps but on the way home whilst driving over numerous speed humps I said out loud " crikey thats up there with a remap !!" - I fell back in love with my car all over again.

I feel your pain my car was driving me nuts until this simple bit of maintenance caused by the bushes going dry, give it a go

You can also buy a dry spray grease, in other words you dont get dust and dirt sticking to the lubricant:idea:

I hope it's something as simple as that, I really do!
I've noticed the rear is "creaking" a bit too.......... but no where near as bad as the front.
It's booked into the garage who fitted my coilovers and ARB's for next Sat, so we'll see!

Cheers,
Scott

Also, it's been 'creaking'/'grinding' when I turn at 10-15mph full lock, does this sound like it could be ARBs too?

What monkeys fitted yours?

502864624_7ca036e2f6.jpg

Did you replace the strut mounts and bearings when you installed the coilies?

I have no idea, I didn't fit them lol.

Let's say it was the ARB bushes, would this be obvious, or would it be a case of greasing them and seeing what happens?

If it's a shock, would that be obvious by looking at it?

I'm taking into into the garage which fitted them on Saturday - but I'd like to know so I'm prepared. :)

edit - I think they had to reuse the original front ARB bushes as the Eibach kit doesn't come with any? If that makes a difference to anything? Bearing in mind the car is 09 plate (March 09) and they were fitted June 09, so they weren't very old to begin with.

Cheers

Scott

Last edited:
I don't know what you chaps do over there but we replace the strut mounts and bearings when we change over to coilovers. It's a common problem where the driver notices knock knock knock over bumps and when driving slow and turning.

I don't know what you chaps do over there but we replace the strut mounts and bearings when we change over to coilovers. It's a common problem where the driver notices knock knock knock over bumps and when driving slow and turning.

Ahh I see. I don't have a prob with knocking *touch wood* this is definately more of a creak/grind. I'm hoping it's the ARB bushes!