What shade of Blues (names) were there on A3's on the 8P2 S Line NOW with PICS

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what blues (Names please) were used on the 8P2 S Line please.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
That's a question and a half Sarah.

Why do you ask out of curio?

Well its because after tons of searching I may have found an S Line front bumper but he doesnt know for sure which blue it is!!! Its more than I wanted to pay but in good condition so if its the right colour I was willing to pay that bit more. I really want my car done now after seeing yours! Then maybe alloys, so will be asking for ideas in time!!! But need to find out the paint colours first.

Well there have been quite a few...

When the 8P2 was introduced there were..
Moro Blue - pearl effect - code P7
Mauritius Blue - pearl effect - code 2Y
Liquid Blue - metallic - code Q1

In May 2007..
Deep Sea Blue - pearl effect - code 8A

In June 2008..
Aruba Blue - pearl effect - code Q9
Glass Blue - pearl effect - code 5G

In August 2008..
Sphere Blue - metallic - code 9F

That's interesting Dave.

I have Mauritius Blue - pearl effect - code 2Y, But I was sure it was metallic. But now you have posted that...............

There is defo flaky sparkly bits in it! So what is the difference between pearl and metallic then?

Mauritius Blue is definitely listed as pearl effect in all the brochure PDFs I have. Not sure what the difference is though.

Crumbs, a few to narrow it from lol. But I am grateful for that info. Think I will go for it, it looks near as damm it. Least if it needs painting its not like covering black or white!!!

Thank you h5djr

That's interesting Dave.

I have Mauritius Blue - pearl effect - code 2Y, But I was sure it was metallic. But now you have posted that...............

There is defo flaky sparkly bits in it! So what is the difference between pearl and metallic then?

Found this if it helps!!!

Goniochromism is the property of certain surfaces to change their colour depending on the angle under which they are viewed, and is usually only found in paints that are specifically designed for the effect.

Examples are pearlescent paints or interference pigments, which are sometimes used for custom paintjobs on cars. and exhibit a colour shift depending on the observation angle.

Metallic paint however contains a colouring that looks the same whenever it is viewed. Metallic paint, sometimes also called "metal-flake" has actual pieces of metal in it, which are highly reflective. The individual pieces tend to lay in the paint in a horizontal manner, as they are themselves fairly flat, and you can discern the individual pieces if you look closely. They are mixed in with regular paint.

Pearlescent paints get their name from the pigments (the part that gives the paint it's color) they contain which are very round in shape, which gives the paint an iridescent quality, which is to say it looks like a different color depending on the angle. This is different than translucent (candy) paints, which let a base coat show through the top-coat.

Last edited:
This is the bumper, can you tell which blue it is from this?? Could it be mauritius???
k_IMG_91681.jpg

k_IMG_91661.jpg

Yours being an early car and the bumper is off a late car so it wont match! Simple!!

Even if they are the same colour, (i dont think i've seen an 06 on in Mauritius) then the colour code will be different anyway. I had the same problem with mine, 2004 Akoya silver is a lot more purpley than the same colour in 2007.

Yours being an early car and the bumper is off a late car so it wont match! Simple!!

Even if they are the same colour, (i dont think i've seen an 06 on in Mauritius) then the colour code will be different anyway. I had the same problem with mine, 2004 Akoya silver is a lot more purpley than the same colour in 2007.

Ok, cheers Lee

Found this if it helps!!!

Goniochromism is the property of certain surfaces to change their colour depending on the angle under which they are viewed, and is usually only found in paints that are specifically designed for the effect.

Examples are pearlescent paints or interference pigments, which are sometimes used for custom paintjobs on cars. and exhibit a colour shift depending on the observation angle.

Metallic paint however contains a colouring that looks the same whenever it is viewed. Metallic paint, sometimes also called "metal-flake" has actual pieces of metal in it, which are highly reflective. The individual pieces tend to lay in the paint in a horizontal manner, as they are themselves fairly flat, and you can discern the individual pieces if you look closely. They are mixed in with regular paint.

Pearlescent paints get their name from the pigments (the part that gives the paint it's color) they contain which are very round in shape, which gives the paint an iridescent quality, which is to say it looks like a different color depending on the angle. This is different than translucent (candy) paints, which let a base coat show through the top-coat.

From that explanation Sarah, mine is definitely metallic. I presume yours is the same Sarah?

The bumper you have shown seems to be the wrong colour. It looks to flat. I wouldn't worry about the colour is you are getting resprayed, my sline bumper was black to start with :)

From that explanation Sarah, mine is definitely metallic. I presume yours is the same Sarah?

The bumper you have shown seems to be the wrong colour. It looks to flat. I wouldn't worry about the colour is you are getting resprayed, my sline bumper was black to start with :)

I have 31 PDF copies of the A3 Pricing and Specification brochure from August 2003 onwards and in every one Mauritius Blue is only ever listed as Pearl Effect with the paint code of 2Y. I would check in your service book or boot sticker and if it says that the paint code is 2Y then your car is a pearl effect finish where it looks like it or not. Unless of course it's had a complete respray since new.

I have 31 PDF copies of the A3 Pricing and Specification brochure from August 2003 onwards and in every one Mauritius Blue is only ever listed as Pearl Effect with the paint code of 2Y. I would check in your service book or boot sticker and if it says that the paint code is 2Y then your car is a pearl effect finish where it looks like it or not. Unless of course it's had a complete respray since new.

so now you know , dont argue with the teacher lol :o.k:

I think the two digit paint codes are only used for ordering etc. On my sticker the Paint Code is shown as LY7W and in the brochures it's P5 Ice Silver Metallic.

looks like sarah has caused a right argument here , good on you girl lol :hubbahubba:

Well my car hasn't been totally resprayed.

Infact, I have had some parts resprayed to that paint code, perfect match on the car, and it is certainly metallic!

Perhaps there was one big typo in all the brochures :)

Well my car hasn't been totally resprayed.

Infact, I have had some parts resprayed to that paint code, perfect match on the car, and it is certainly metallic!

Perhaps there was one big typo in all the brochures :)

Isn't pearl effect a type of metalic anyway? I'm not sure what it should look like other than it can look different in different lighting conditions.

The site you referred to lists all 'pearl' paints as metallic and only lists paint as either Solid or Metallic so I think it's reasonable to say that Mauritius Blue is a pearl effect metallic paint. If you have parts that have been respayed, then if they use the correct paint code then they should match. LZ5C/2Y is the correct paint code for Mauritius Blue pearl effect.

If you look at this website (all in German) but you will see that Audi paint LZ5C is shown as, translated from German) Mauritius Blue Pearl Effect.

I don't think Audi UK would have continued to print the same 'mistake' in their brochures for 31 diffrent brochures since August 2003. Their brochures may not always be 100% correct but I think that would be expecting a bit too much.

Last edited:
Tbh Dave, my knowledge of paints is bare minimum :)

I knew I had sparkly bits so just presumed it was metallic.So it looks like Mauritius blue is metallic AND pearl.

Know what you mean about the 31 misprints. A few maybe,but not all of them!

Got to say though, I do love the colour of Mauritius , it is a beautiful paint:)

T