new car, which engine?

danw124

Reaction score
Hi
Pretty much decided on a new A3 Sportback, Sport with a couple of nice options, but im struggling to decide which engine to go for. Quattro is out realistically with my budget, dont want to scrimp on the options too much. The sensible bet would be the 2.0 tdi 140ps, but im wondering is it gonna be quick enough for me and will i get bored with it too quickly. 1.8tfsi is an option but im likely to get fed up with struggling to achieve 30mpg. So then i look at the 2.0tdi 170ps, stuggling to decide. Really need a good balance between performance and economy. Of course going for the 140ps also means i can keep all my options in budget and get a really nicely specced car. DECISIONS! Any thoughts appreciated.

another point, what sort of realistic mpg from a brand new 1.8tfsi?

+5 and go all out on engine mods. But I wish it had been a 2.0tfsi instead, but saying that I wouldnt get the 37MPG around town :p

I bought a 140cr after having a 170PD and it felt just as quick and much smoother and quieter. Before I bought the 140 I had a half day test dribe in both a 140 and a 170 and preferred the 140. I have since had a remap on the 140 and it's now producing around 175-180bhp. The difference in cost between a 140 and a 170 is £900 but the remap only cost me £295. My current overall mpg is around 46-48. Go for the 140.

ok thanks for the feedback, general view seems to be 140 and remap :)
Soooo which remap and is this not an issue when under warranty?

If the dealer finds the remap, your warranty is void, if you have an accident and you have not declared your remap and your insurance firm find it, they dont pay up.
There is of course a very slight chance they will be looking for it or even find it but bare that in mind...

My dealer knows mine has had a remap and says it makes no difference as far as they are concerned.