s3 rads on a 2.0tdi???

DOLPHIN DIESEL

Reaction score
ive just bought a 54 plate a3 tdi with front end damage, just wondered if the s3 water and air con ray will fit? i wanted to convert to big grille anyway and have found a full s3 front end so wondered if i could use it all instead of searching for tdi rads & i/c.

many thanks

they will fit but pipes are bigger on the s3 so techically it is possible but will needs some adjustment to the pipe work, Im having a THS intercooler thats made for the S3 fitted to my 2.0tdi when i get round to it (hopefully next week, but ive been saying this for while :p ), its going to be used part of the R&D for THS and my local tuning company :)

The THS intercooler looks a nice copy of the APR version but why do you feel the nned to have such a massive intercooler for when the S3 intercooler is only about £200 new or £70-80 secondhand and will flow plenty enough for your turbo or even a much bigger one.

The THS intercooler looks a nice copy of the APR version but why do you feel the nned to have such a massive intercooler for when the S3 intercooler is only about £200 new or £70-80 secondhand and will flow plenty enough for your turbo or even a much bigger one.

minimum pressure drop, cooler intake and minimum turbo lag, so i can push my turbo to its max 1.8bar/29psi. Last thing i want to worry about is over working my turbo due to pressure drop between turbo and intake manifold. Really dont want to replace the turbo anytime soon.

So i take it you or your tuning company have tested your stock intercooler have have found the result to be about 3psi or higher pressure drop and have measured air inlet temps pre and after intercooler with your turbo fitted ? I hope they have talked you into getting this done at a very very good mate. By the way the bigger the intercooler the more lag you will get or didn`t they point that bit out to you?

for 220-240 the stock 2.0 tdi intercooler is more than enough. Am i missing something mikey?

yeah but we all love a bit of dirty derv talk so whats next nav talk dirty to me lol

I also bought the THS intercooler from FR&R shop and i can say i didn't find any pressure gains nor any actuator activity drop as i've expected, the add that they are playing that claims to reduce the pressure drop from the turbo outlet and the intercoller inlet is pure ridiculous this is no more but a bigger intercooler to be honest now this is a waste of money on tdis that do not breach the 240bhp barrier.

Thx :)

yeah but we all love a bit of dirty derv talk so whats next nav talk dirty to me lol

Once ive finished with lukes black and silver leather seats, its going to be injectors and conrods. Maybe meth/water too depending on my egts. Then thats it but someone told me about custom manifolds :p

Aw forgot to mention a totally not off the shelf turbo to go with the manifold. Aw and a quaife diff. Where to stop!

I also bought the THS intercooler from FR&R shop and i can say i didn't find any pressure gains nor any actuator activity drop as i've expected, the add that they are playing that claims to reduce the pressure drop from the turbo outlet and the intercoller inlet is pure ridiculous this is no more but a bigger intercooler to be honest now this is a waste of money on tdis that do not breach the 240bhp barrier.

Thx :)

Yep stock intercooler is perfectly good enough for 240 bhp and fitting anything bigger will gain nothing. When my car was with Allards i had a duel inlet temp gauge fitted pre and post intercooler. When testing the S3 intercooler very little gains where seen even when running 330bhp. The S3 and the APR intercooler which THS copied are only very slightly smaller then the stock item as it has to be sandwiched between the front air con radiator and engine radiator. The best thing to do to reduce inlet temps would be to remove the air con so the FMIC got a proper air flow but i like my air con to much to do that.

This is a welcoming holy thread revival, as was looking into if it was worthwhile or not, now I know its a complete & utter waste of money, thanks chaps, saved me stripping her down again.