Still some problems

smudge_don

Reaction score
Right, the driveshaft issue after the massacre of my old one by some idiots has been sorted

But now i have a different problem

Whenever i am travelling slowly, like in traffic, i get a sort of clunking noise that you can feel through the car

It seems to be rotational, and on the driver side again, where i had the problems with the driveshaft

Garage that fixed it all for me can't find anything, anyone got any ideas?

Could it be the wheel/hub/brake disc/heat guard rubbing/knocking against something else as the wheel turns, due to the negative camber i've now got?

I think that you would have to be running some pretty serious camber before you have any problems like that.

I don't have my car yet to look at, but the brake/hub/disc/wheel and guard are all going to move to the same camber angle. Only thing that I can think of is the CV joint?

What was it that was done to the previous driveshaft that massacred it?

I think that you would have to be running some pretty serious camber before you have any problems like that.

I don't have my car yet to look at, but the brake/hub/disc/wheel and guard are all going to move to the same camber angle. Only thing that I can think of is the CV joint?

What was it that was done to the previous driveshaft that massacred it?

Coilovers were fitted, and the driveshaft popped out and wasn't put back into place properly, so as soon as i went to drive away it caused damage which im claiming from the 1st garage

2nd garage put on a new driveshaft for me, and had them check the noise out over the last couple of days, but they couldn't come up with a solution :think:

That's really interesting. Does it only do it at low speed and increase frequency as you accelerate?

CV is the only thing I can think of that would cause this kind of noise if it's rotational. What damage was origianlly caused cuz I'm wondering if it could have over extended the maximum angle of the CV and bent something that is now out of alignment?

That's really interesting. Does it only do it at low speed and increase frequency as you accelerate?

CV is the only thing I can think of that would cause this kind of noise if it's rotational. What damage was origianlly caused cuz I'm wondering if it could have over extended the maximum angle of the CV and bent something that is now out of alignment?

Ye that's the weird thing, only very slow speeds

Seems to be fine when about 15mph, and on motorways it's smooth as anything

Original damage was to the bearings and the tripodic end of the driveshaft

I'm at a loss if those bits were fully replaced...

Sometimes I wish you could just ask them to try a new CV or something to see if that fixes the problem and not have to pay for it. In a perfect world maybe!

I suppose that slightly damaged bearings would do something similar, but would probably be more of a random clunk than one that inceases and decreases speed noticably.

I'm at a loss if those bits were fully replaced...

Sometimes I wish you could just ask them to try a new CV or something to see if that fixes the problem and not have to pay for it. In a perfect world maybe!

I suppose that slightly damaged bearings would do something similar, but would probably be more of a random clunk than one that inceases and decreases speed noticably.

I don't get why it only happens at slow speeds.....

It's definately rotational, think i'll jack her up tonight to see if anything is rubbing/knocking, if i can't see anything, take it back again

Sound like a plan.

Like I say, if it's something that vaguely speeds up with the wheels but you can't just time them with a watch then there is a phenomena where worn bearings and things will run super smooth at higher speeds even with the wear. Maybe they didn't replace all the damaged bearings or something.

Let us know how you get on!

Sound like a plan.

Like I say, if it's something that vaguely speeds up with the wheels but you can't just time them with a watch then there is a phenomena where worn bearings and things will run super smooth at higher speeds even with the wear. Maybe they didn't replace all the damaged bearings or something.

Let us know how you get on!

Will do, cheers Dan

2 garages have now looked at this new problem and can't figure out what it is :(

Giving it one last shot before i take it to Audi to have them take a looksie