Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941

    Still some problems

    Right, the driveshaft issue after the massacre of my old one by some idiots has been sorted

    But now i have a different problem

    Whenever i am travelling slowly, like in traffic, i get a sort of clunking noise that you can feel through the car

    It seems to be rotational, and on the driver side again, where i had the problems with the driveshaft

    Garage that fixed it all for me can't find anything, anyone got any ideas?

    Could it be the wheel/hub/brake disc/heat guard rubbing/knocking against something else as the wheel turns, due to the negative camber i've now got?
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Dan!'s Avatar
    Quattro Drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 'Deen
    Posts
    278
    I think that you would have to be running some pretty serious camber before you have any problems like that.

    I don't have my car yet to look at, but the brake/hub/disc/wheel and guard are all going to move to the same camber angle. Only thing that I can think of is the CV joint?

    What was it that was done to the previous driveshaft that massacred it?
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

    LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

  4. #3
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    I think that you would have to be running some pretty serious camber before you have any problems like that.

    I don't have my car yet to look at, but the brake/hub/disc/wheel and guard are all going to move to the same camber angle. Only thing that I can think of is the CV joint?

    What was it that was done to the previous driveshaft that massacred it?
    Coilovers were fitted, and the driveshaft popped out and wasn't put back into place properly, so as soon as i went to drive away it caused damage which im claiming from the 1st garage

    2nd garage put on a new driveshaft for me, and had them check the noise out over the last couple of days, but they couldn't come up with a solution
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  5. #4
    Dan!'s Avatar
    Quattro Drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 'Deen
    Posts
    278
    That's really interesting. Does it only do it at low speed and increase frequency as you accelerate?

    CV is the only thing I can think of that would cause this kind of noise if it's rotational. What damage was origianlly caused cuz I'm wondering if it could have over extended the maximum angle of the CV and bent something that is now out of alignment?
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

    LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

  6. #5
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    That's really interesting. Does it only do it at low speed and increase frequency as you accelerate?

    CV is the only thing I can think of that would cause this kind of noise if it's rotational. What damage was origianlly caused cuz I'm wondering if it could have over extended the maximum angle of the CV and bent something that is now out of alignment?
    Ye that's the weird thing, only very slow speeds

    Seems to be fine when about 15mph, and on motorways it's smooth as anything

    Original damage was to the bearings and the tripodic end of the driveshaft
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  7. #6
    Dan!'s Avatar
    Quattro Drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 'Deen
    Posts
    278
    I'm at a loss if those bits were fully replaced...

    Sometimes I wish you could just ask them to try a new CV or something to see if that fixes the problem and not have to pay for it. In a perfect world maybe!

    I suppose that slightly damaged bearings would do something similar, but would probably be more of a random clunk than one that inceases and decreases speed noticably.
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

    LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

  8. #7
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    I'm at a loss if those bits were fully replaced...

    Sometimes I wish you could just ask them to try a new CV or something to see if that fixes the problem and not have to pay for it. In a perfect world maybe!

    I suppose that slightly damaged bearings would do something similar, but would probably be more of a random clunk than one that inceases and decreases speed noticably.
    I don't get why it only happens at slow speeds.....

    It's definately rotational, think i'll jack her up tonight to see if anything is rubbing/knocking, if i can't see anything, take it back again
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  9. #8
    Dan!'s Avatar
    Quattro Drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 'Deen
    Posts
    278
    Sound like a plan.

    Like I say, if it's something that vaguely speeds up with the wheels but you can't just time them with a watch then there is a phenomena where worn bearings and things will run super smooth at higher speeds even with the wear. Maybe they didn't replace all the damaged bearings or something.

    Let us know how you get on!
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

    LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

  10. #9
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    Sound like a plan.

    Like I say, if it's something that vaguely speeds up with the wheels but you can't just time them with a watch then there is a phenomena where worn bearings and things will run super smooth at higher speeds even with the wear. Maybe they didn't replace all the damaged bearings or something.

    Let us know how you get on!
    Will do, cheers Dan
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  11. #10
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    2 garages have now looked at this new problem and can't figure out what it is

    Giving it one last shot before i take it to Audi to have them take a looksie
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  12. #11
    Dan!'s Avatar
    Quattro Drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The 'Deen
    Posts
    278
    Good luck, I hope they find it! Third time lucky and all that!
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

    LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO