Have i got more serious problems? Smoke - video inside.

G

Goner

Recently i have had turbo failure, it's now as it's fixed, however the car seems to smoke when it's first turned on and ticking over until it's been driven for 5/10 minutes.

When the turbo let go i had:

• A fresh reconditioned turbo fitted
  • Oil feed pipe fitted
  • Oil filter fitted
  • PD oil used
Currently the car is loosing coolant through the radiator, again not a problem as it's being fixed on Saturday, i also know that the glow plug on cylinder one is faulty again, bought a new one and it's being fitted Saturday.

Back onto the smoke issue, when i first noticed the smoke it was when the temperatures were doing in the -1s etc, i put it down to condensation in the exhaust and due to the fact that the car had just popped a turbo and there were still oil in the exhaust system, since the turbo repair my car will have covered easily 2000 miles. Would you say that this is a fair amount of time for the oil remnants of the old turbo to be blown out of the car?

Now that the temperature is getting warmer i expected not to see as much smoke, condensation or what ever it is when the car is first started up either be in a morning or at half 5 after work.

Tonight whilst stuck in traffic i noticed the smoke through the passenger side door mirror and decided to record it as if something is wrong i want it fixed.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I have described the faults with the car that i know about, but is it possible i split hose/pipe could be causing this? There is no loss of performance with the car.

Video below:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/AidenUK2007/?action=view&current=Smoke.flv

Thanks for looking. :icon_thumright:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looks like the white smoke produced by most cars when its vaguely cold and the engine has just started. Doesn't look blue or anything. If it stops after 5/10 minutes then it seems like that might be all it is. My car does the same thing and it's running fine. If it was blue then I would worry, but it looks alright.

Is it running badly or anything?

No its running spot on but i haven't ever noticed this before thats all, and i can't say i noticed but doing it before the turbo went. As i say it does go away, but all the other TDIs i see in a morning seem to be smoke free?

:icon_thumright:

I know what you mean about other diesels. Mine does it quite often on anything other than a particularly warm morning. It's a Nissan Primera 2.0 TDi so not too dissimilar.

Maybe just bring it up when you get the radiator fixed and get them to put on the report that you had brought it up just in case it turns out to be a problem... The only thing I would have thought that would really be is a head gasket but if it's running fine then it wouldn't be I don't think. Not that I'm a mechanic or anything! lol.