Vinyl wrap - good or bad ?

willmac

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has gone down the vinyl wrap route and if so how successful is it ?
Initially when ordering the S3 I wanted to go for the open sky roof, however due to cost and in some part to fears of issues with it, I did not spec it. However what I do like the look of is the contrast of the black roof against the rest of the car ( suzuka grey in this case ).

Do you think going for a vinyl wrap in black for the roof will cheapen the look of the car ?
I have specced the aluminium roof rails as well by the way.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
Hard to tell how it will look on Suzuka. On plain white cars it works well because of the crisp monochromatic look, but suzuka is quite a bit greyer (from memory).

On the right car I don't think it cheapens it. You can always remove it at the end of the term of ownership, and as long as you haven't suffered paint fade (more likely if your car isn't garaged ever), then you've protected your car from the effluent of our winged friends who love nothing more than to plant a gritty pancake on a shiny new motor!

Thanks Warren, yes that's what I'm not sure about as well with Suzuka being pearl rather than flat finish.
The other thing is that when you are paying 1700 quid for a paint job , do you really want to wrap some of it in plastic ?

Too true. that's a lot of dollar for 27kgs of paint! Puts it up there as a precious metal!

I've heard 2/3 people have had to have re-sprays after havin wraps done. As its messed up the paintwork! They are so rinsed in manchester, all the ballers have them, so boring :gaehn:

Last edited:
I was thinking of heading down the black roof line but not if it will need a respray when it's taken off!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know general prices or a place up North (Im in Aberdeen) that might do it to ask them?

Thanks

I just mean if it damages the paint? I thought that's what Nate was meaning or am I wrong in thinking that?

I think that looks pretty good actually, need to get some prices me thinks!

So what does John mean then?! Congfused! Surely a respray would be needed to fix the paint so surely it's the only thing you could consider? lol.

It was my understanding that it peels off with no damage, but like all things in life probably depends on the quality of the film/adhesive and the experience of the company doing the application. Klauster on here had his RS4 wrapped so may be worth a PM

I actually called Vinyl Cut this afternoon to see about getting my roof done. The guy there said that it would be about £80 to get the roof done in black and guaranteed it would come off with no damage. Said his van was wrapped for 3 years as he used it for publicity and when he took it off it was like new paint under apart from the stone chips on the bonnet.

Thought that was a good price and the guy seemed really honest...