Audi approved used possible problem

latta1989

Reaction score
I got my 2006 a3 in November and 4 new tyres were fitted by them as part of approved used. Couple of old ones had bulges an one worn. Because quattro they replaced the 4.
But I checked them recently and the whole inside tread is almost gone. It's not my drivin as still loads of tread elsewhere.
Therefore Im guessing it's the tracking. Audi said they will sort this bit where do I stand with my tyres?
Nearly need new ones already!!!
Should they cover the cost?

Replace the tyres but before they hit the road have the car 4 wheel laser aligned by a decent garage that knows what they are doing..

That's where i would start anyway.

Just noticed your last comment, if Audi have agreed to sort the tracking for you then to a certain extent they have realised that this is partly their own **** up so i would push for them to replace the tyres also, they have already sort of admitted that they should of tracked the car up by agreeing to do this for you now..

If they had done the job right in the first place then you wouldn't need new tyres now.

Stick to your guns.

:icon_thumright:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought too.
If I buy from approved used then I'd expect my car to be aligned properly.
They tried to say it's beacuse of the state of the roads but both front tyres have symettrical wear.
Continentals they put on the car so none of the cheap stuff either!!!

I heard recently that due to the nature of the rear control blades on the A3, the inside of the rear tyres do wear out more aggressively than the outers.

My first set of tyres (Conti 2's) looked fine from outer edge at 12k miles, turns out the inner edges were almost at the canvas.

Supposedly (hard to know what to believe), under acceleration the car pulls its rear wheels in and run more on the inner edges. I've cruised about on this set (Toyo T1-R's) and the wear across the profile is far more consistent.

Know it's not what you want to hear, but seems there may be some truth in the rumour.