Best SMF for S3

Haz1

Reaction score
Hi all, I just wanted to know what the best option would be if I want to get a SMF for an S3. I know the Sach SMF is out the question due to mostly everyone who's installed it having problems including toby. I wanted to ask what other options are out there which do not have any problems ie you cannot change gears in high 6000K+ rpm in 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear like the sach SMF. Ive boiled it down to two options either the Southbend stage 5 SMF and the Helix SMF. I would like to ask people who have both these clutches installed if they had the same problems as toby had.

Thanks
Haz

We use either the spec or the helix clutches and flywheels. Helix more, now they do the parts as they tend to spend more time developing their products and have got past the issue of changing gear at higher rpms.

I have the Helix SMF and at the begining I had issues with changing gears from 1th to 2nd at 6500rpm and from 4th to 5th, but it turned out it was a problem with the gearbox housing and after changing that it works like a charm, not a problem at all...

We use either the spec or the helix clutches and flywheels. Helix more, now they do the parts as they tend to spend more time developing their products and have got past the issue of changing gear at higher rpms.

Im really interested in the helix clutch do you know where I can get one or do you stock them. If you sell them can you pm me the price for the full clutch kit including a SMF. Much appreicated.

I have the Helix SMF and at the begining I had issues with changing gears from 1th to 2nd at 6500rpm and from 4th to 5th, but it turned out it was a problem with the gearbox housing and after changing that it works like a charm, not a problem at all...

Your input has really helped me thanks bud, plus how much noise comes of the clutch at idle since its a SMF (is it bearable or loud?) And how much heavier is the clutch pedal? Thanks

The noise is allways very bearable, sometimes you can just hear it and some times you cant really hear anything, for example when your driving in 2nd at 5k and you realease the gas pedal they you can notice the difference as it woumbles, but othervise its great. Its great when cheanging gears as the clutch accepts instantly and the car pulls alot harder, and it picks up revs noticably quicker. As for the pedal Id say its about 15% harder, which makes it bearley noticable over stock.

The noise is allways very bearable, sometimes you can just hear it and some times you cant really hear anything, for example when your driving in 2nd at 5k and you realease the gas pedal they you can notice the difference as it woumbles, but othervise its great. Its great when cheanging gears as the clutch accepts instantly and the car pulls alot harder, and it picks up revs noticably quicker. As for the pedal Id say its about 15% harder, which makes it bearley noticable over stock.

Thats some really good info, I think I'll go with the Helix clutch. Where did you get the helix SMF kit and how much should I look at paying for the kit. And one think about the helix clutch, can you do good launches of the line for drag times, ie whats the highest rpm you can launch the car at? Thanks again.

Thats some really good info, I think I'll go with the Helix clutch. Where did you get the helix SMF kit and how much should I look at paying for the kit. And one think about the helix clutch, can you do good launches of the line for drag times, ie whats the highest rpm you can launch the car at? Thanks again.

I got here in Croatia in my local tuning shop, and I payed 1000 pounds incl. VAT and install. About launching, I do it around 4000-4300 rpm and its great, but the launches are harder to preform as its a little bit tricky to shift it from 1st to 2nd when launching, but I think its due to lots of engine moving when missing a DMF, I think the solution will be when I install the VF engine mounts incl. the gearbox mount, thus the engine movment will decrease and it will be much easyer to launch... have my fingers crossed....

Ive made the final decision after looking at both southbend and helix offerings. Im going for the Helix 6 paddle clutch kit with SMF, ive been assured that this kit is the best since it just got released after many years of research and doesnt have any of the symptoms of the sach smf kit. Plus it doesn't have an on/off style behaviour of most paddle clutches and launches can be done upto 6k rpm :jump:. Probably get it fitted by next month unless anyone can convience me otherwise. :readit:

Haz