Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2.0 FSI VS 2.0 TDI

"Started From The Bottom"

Status

2.0 FSI VS 2.0 TDI

2.0 FSI VS 2.0 TDI

I currently on a 2.0 FSI & my Mate has a 2.0 TDI
    I want a head to head list of things that make 2.0 FSI better than the 2.0 TDI or the other way round.
    I want to also know if mechanically if 1 engine is better for reliability then the other 2.0 FSI vs 2.0 TDI

This is my list so far Can Everybody on Audi-Sport.net Please add what you think is a benefit Too Each Engine.

Benefits of 2.0 FSI
    1. More Revs
    2. Less Engine Noise

Benefits Of 2.0 TDI
    1. More MPG
    2. More Torque

At the end of all this talk Ill Post the Winner of What Engine has Won!!!!!
    Last edited by Digzz; 16th March 2010 at 14:26.

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Benefits of 2.0 FSI

Benefits of 2.0 TDI

1. More Economy
    2. Cheaper to run
    3. Superb when mapped
    Last edited by N8; 16th March 2010 at 15:07.

6th Gear

Status
    The 2.0L FSI non turbo can't be quicker than a TDI 140 surely?

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Just checked parkers.

2.0 FSI FAIL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Just checked parkers.

2.0 FSI FAIL
    So it's not quicker then the 2.0 TDI ?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Nope. If it was 2.0 TFSI or 2.0TDI - it would be alot closer contest.

6th Gear

Status
    I can't see the FSI 2.0 being anywhere near as quick as a TDI 140, either from a standing start or it's 'in gear' acceleration.

Map the TDI 140 and it will paste the 2.0 FSI.

The 2.0 TFSI, well that's a different kettle of fish again.. With the correct tuning and driven right, this engine is a right tool.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I agree Aid

6th Gear

Status
    One thing that does go in the 2.0L FSI's favour is that there is no turbo to go wrong, the TDI turbo is an expensive unit to replace when (and i say when because it will) blow.
    I have just had to fork out 650 for a turbo repair and all the other bits and bats that go with it, i managed to do this on the cheap (if you can call it that) through a good friend of the family.

The 2.0L TDI doesn't have a cracking rep for having a bullet proof turbo shall we say, nearly every tuner i spoke to when enquiring about having my TDI mapped told me the turbo on the 2.0 TDI is a weak point of the engine.

5th Gear

Status
    I see no reason what so ever for buying a 2.0 FSI (or the 1.6 actually). Its got to be either a 2.0TFSI or a 2.0TDI in the A3. Or a 3.2 V6 if you are feeling particularly evil
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Status
    Quick Update.....It's still neck on neck...

Benefits of 2.0 FSI
    1. More Revs
    2. Less Engine Noise
    3. No Turbo ...to go wrong..Less money to spend on when it goes wrong.

Benefits Of 2.0 TDI
    1. More MPG
    2. More Torque
    3. Good to re-map

5th Gear

Status
    This thread is a bit pointless, like a top trumps only one deck is a loser everytime!
    The 2.0FSI a part from being fairly quiet really has nothing else going for it, its slow, not that much more economical the 2.0TFSI, way less economical then the 2.0TDI, and not even tuneable.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

S3 (8P)

Status
    Mate of mine just picked the 20FSI over the TDI as generally they were much cheaper and miles tended to be lower on used cars. He doesnt do many miles and the single frame TDIs were out of his budget.
    He`s not interested in modding so the FSI limited tuning options didnt matter.
    So to some the FSI makes a lot of sense.

Its not for everyone but personally I dont think all of the criticism the FSI gets is necessarily justified.
    My 2p

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I think they de-tune the 2.0 FSI for the Cayman.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    I hate diesels. Not a fan.

However I'd much much rather have a 2.0 TDI over the 2.0 FSI.

The FSI is underpowered and a pretty rubbish choice for an A3.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I've got an FSI and would also say that it gets a bad press on here. When I bought mine I didn't even test drive the TDI, basically because I was thinking that diesels are slow and rubbish.
    Ok, I was wrong.

But since owning my car I've driven a couple of similar aged TDI 140's and I just can't see how anyone who has driven both could possibily say that the TDI is so much better than an FSI.
    I think what makes the TDI "feel" quicker than the FSI is its low down torque, so you get an immediate shove in the back when you put your foot down (although it runs out pretty quickly), whereas the FSI gives a smoother delivery so doesn't feel as quick.
    But side by side there is nothing in it.

On the flip side, the FSI is slightly quicker to 60 according to their stats, has a bit more bnp, but not enough to mean it really is quicker.

If tuning is what is wanted then, yes, forget the FSI. But as standard and to be kept standard there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two, they just offer it in a different way.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I've got an FSI and would also say that it gets a bad press on here. When I bought mine I didn't even test drive the TDI, basically because I was thinking that diesels are slow and rubbish.
    Ok, I was wrong.

But since owning my car I've driven a couple of similar aged TDI 140's and I just can't see how anyone who has driven both could possibily say that the TDI is so much better than an FSI.
    I think what makes the TDI "feel" quicker than the FSI is its low down torque, so you get an immediate shove in the back when you put your foot down (although it runs out pretty quickly), whereas the FSI gives a smoother delivery so doesn't feel as quick.
    But side by side there is nothing in it.

On the flip side, the FSI is slightly quicker to 60 according to their stats, has a bit more bnp, but not enough to mean it really is quicker.

If tuning is what is wanted then, yes, forget the FSI. But as standard and to be kept standard there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two, they just offer it in a different way.
    The BHP figure is similar for both. But as the TDI has more torque, it does feel quicker. Who cares what it says on paper...
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    The BHP figure is similar for both. But as the TDI has more torque, it does feel quicker. Who cares what it says on paper...
    The fsi has about 10 bhp more. But you're right, what's on paper doesn't always transfer to the road.

The tdi just feels quicker, that's what I said. But really it ain't.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I think they de-tune the 2.0 FSI for the Cayman.
    And its cheap!!
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

6th Gear

Status
    Reasons for FSi over TDi

dodgy early cylinder heads cracking
    turbos blowing at low mileage
    Dual mass flywheels failing at low mileage
    EGR valves failing at low mileage
    FSi easier to pick up with lower mileage

Reasons for TDi over FSi

More torque, especially if remapped
    Better fuel economy

The FSi isnt THAT slow, is certainly not fast though - I think the 6 speed box makes it seem slower & tall gearing for better MPG doesn't help. Also, catch the turbo off boost.....

In my mind if you want a faster car, go for the TDi, if you want a cheaper car to run in the long run - FSi, sure the mpg is better on the TDi but thats soon wiped out by having to replace a turbo or DMF. Most of the taxi drivers in my area have swapped back onto petrol engines for that reason.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

5th Gear

Status
    The fsi has about 10 bhp more. But you're right, what's on paper doesn't always transfer to the road.

The tdi just feels quicker, that's what I said. But really it ain't.
    If I had a PD140 to make it a bit fairer (the 170 I've got would destroy it even if it was still standard) I'd quite happily put it up against a 2.0FSI to show its faster. I have no doubt what so ever that it would be.

I dont condone racing though
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If I had a PD140 to make it a bit fairer I'd quite happily put it up against a 2.0FSI to show its faster. I have no doubt what so ever that it would be.
    You'd be wrong, and sad.
    Been there and done it, quite a few times, and it easily goes either way

And as someone has stated, the second you're off boost and left only with DI; well.............

What I notice when having a tear ups with PD140's is....... they jump off a bit quicker, but with each of their gear changes I reel them back in quite quickly. And the fact that they've had to change up to about 6th while I'm still in 2nd doesn't help them either!

At low revs the FSI is pretty dire, but after getting used to how it drives its pretty easy to adjust your driving style to get the best out of the engine. Keeping revs high really makes a difference.
    The FSI has a noticeable increase in power somewhere around 3500 rpm and continues well throughout the rest of the range.

But like I said, I'm by no means saying that the FSI is a "fast car", but all this talk of it being slow is unfair. And to speak highly of the TDI 140 against the FSI, in their standard forms, makes me think that those who do don't really have experience of driving both.

Too Much Hype

Status
    Its all about the tdi

I never though that I would be a diesel head

Status
    You'd be wrong, and sad.
    Been there and done it, quite a few times, and it easily goes either way

And as someone has stated, the second you're off boost and left only with DI; well.............

What I notice when having a tear ups with PD140's is....... they jump off a bit quicker, but with each of their gear changes I reel them back in quite quickly. And the fact that they've had to change up to about 6th while I'm still in 2nd doesn't help them either!

At low revs the FSI is pretty dire, but after getting used to how it drives its pretty easy to adjust your driving style to get the best out of the engine. Keeping revs high really makes a difference.
    The FSI has a noticeable increase in power somewhere around 3500 rpm and continues well throughout the rest of the range.

But like I said, I'm by no means saying that the FSI is a "fast car", but all this talk of it being slow is unfair. And to speak highly of the TDI 140 against the FSI, in their standard forms, makes me think that those who do don't really have experience of driving both.
    Your Right Mate...I own A 2.0 FSI. And in no way it's Slow...People drive my car and say it's pretty fast. I've also driven my friends 2.0 TDI and I would stay in terms of speed and power it's on the same level. To put everything to rest Im thinking of a race between my car and his car. I'll need to think of a suitable place to race & to film it. I'll post it on a YouTube when everything is done...

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

My PD 140 is an 08, so I wonder if I have turbo problems, hope they happen within the next year anyway, as the warranty runs out

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Your Right Mate...I own A 2.0 FSI. And in no way it's Slow...People drive my car and say it's pretty fast.
    That surprises me, my 3.2 has an extra 100bhp over the 2.0 FSI and I wouldn't describe that as fast!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    That surprises me, my 3.2 has an extra 100bhp over the 2.0 FSI and I wouldn't describe that as fast!
    You'd better trade it in for a TDI 140 then.

Status
    You'd better trade it in for a TDI 140 then.
    I'd rather buy a Kia Picanto.
    A3HAZ likes this.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'd rather buy a Kia Picanto.
    I can see why.....

1st Gear

Status
    On the track, FSI but on the (real world) roads, TDI then?

I'd rarely get the opportunity these days (commute traffic, generally) to take advantage of a petrol engine, so I now enjoy the lively torque of the TDI (CR).
    '09 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition 140PS
    Got: Bose, Xenon Plus, LED DRLs
    , FBMFSW, 18" 7 Twin-Spoke 'Titanium' Wheels, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoker pack, Debadged
    Want sooner:
    S3 pedals, VCDS (VagCom), LaminX front lights
    Maybe later:
    RNS-e (or equivalent), 19" Wheels (as above)

Brilliant Black Black edition

Status
    The 2.0 FSI (and T) isn't without its problems though..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat6 View Post
    The 2.0 FSI (and T) isn't without its problems though..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    Me too.... ..That's why my car revs up and down when ideal..

Status
    40.9mpg 2.0 FSI
    48.7mpg 2.0 TDI
    49.6mpg 1.4 T
    35.7mpg 2.0 T

I think I'm going to change my Engine to a 1.4 T

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    40.9mpg 2.0 FSI
    48.7mpg 2.0 TDI
    49.6mpg 1.4 T
    35.7mpg 2.0 T

I think I'm going to change my Engine to a 1.4 T
    Judging by the reports from the 1.6 TDI I'd take the 1.4T figures with a handful of salt!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Judging by the reports from the 1.6 TDI I'd take the 1.4T figures with a handful of salt!
    I did'nt know they made a 1.6 TDI lol

is a retronaut

Status
    Nor did I until my mate said last week that he'd ordered one!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...New-1-6Tdi-Mpg
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Status
    1.6 TDI 68.9mpg WOW I would still go for the 1.4 T thou..

6th Gear

Status
    I had the 1.4 TSI (Supercharged Turbo) in my GT Sport TSI 170.. cracking engine, people that slag it.. most of the time have no idea what they are talking about.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AidenUK View Post
    I had the 1.4 TSI (Supercharged Turbo) in my GT Sport TSI 170.. cracking engine, people that slag it.. most of the time have no idea what they are talking about.

Do you know if it Would be possible to change my 2.0 FSI into a 1.4 TSI ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast