2.0 FSI VS 2.0 TDI

• Total voters

J.R.

"Started From The Bottom"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
2.0 FSI VS 2.0 TDI

I currently on a 2.0 FSI & my Mate has a 2.0 TDI
I want a head to head list of things that make 2.0 FSI better than the 2.0 TDI or the other way round.
I want to also know if mechanically if 1 engine is better for reliability then the other 2.0 FSI vs 2.0 TDI

This is my list so far Can Everybody on Audi-Sport.net Please add what you think is a benefit Too Each Engine.

Benefits of 2.0 FSI
1. More Rev’s
2. Less Engine Noise

Benefits Of 2.0 TDI
1. More MPG
2. More Torque

At the end of all this talk I’ll Post the Winner of What Engine has Won!!!!! :sly:

Last edited:
The 2.0L FSI non turbo can't be quicker than a TDI 140 surely?

I can't see the FSI 2.0 being anywhere near as quick as a TDI 140, either from a standing start or it's 'in gear' acceleration.

Map the TDI 140 and it will paste the 2.0 FSI.

The 2.0 TFSI, well that's a different kettle of fish again.. With the correct tuning and driven right, this engine is a right tool.

:icon_thumright:

One thing that does go in the 2.0L FSI's favour is that there is no turbo to go wrong, the TDI turbo is an expensive unit to replace when (and i say when because it will) blow.
I have just had to fork out £650 for a turbo repair and all the other bits and bats that go with it, i managed to do this on the cheap (if you can call it that) through a good friend of the family.

The 2.0L TDI doesn't have a cracking rep for having a bullet proof turbo shall we say, nearly every tuner i spoke to when enquiring about having my TDI mapped told me the turbo on the 2.0 TDI is a weak point of the engine.

I see no reason what so ever for buying a 2.0 FSI (or the 1.6 actually). Its got to be either a 2.0TFSI or a 2.0TDI in the A3. Or a 3.2 V6 if you are feeling particularly evil :icon_thumright:

Quick Update.....It's still neck on neck...

Benefits of 2.0 FSI
1. More Rev’s
2. Less Engine Noise
3. No Turbo ...to go wrong..Less money to spend on when it goes wrong.

Benefits Of 2.0 TDI
1. More MPG
2. More Torque
3. Good to re-map

This thread is a bit pointless, like a top trumps only one deck is a loser everytime!
The 2.0FSI a part from being fairly quiet really has nothing else going for it, its slow, not that much more economical the 2.0TFSI, way less economical then the 2.0TDI, and not even tuneable.

Mate of mine just picked the 20FSI over the TDI as generally they were much cheaper and miles tended to be lower on used cars. He doesnt do many miles and the single frame TDIs were out of his budget.
He`s not interested in modding so the FSI limited tuning options didnt matter.
So to some the FSI makes a lot of sense.

Its not for everyone but personally I dont think all of the criticism the FSI gets is necessarily justified.
My 2p

Cheers
Paul

I think they de-tune the 2.0 FSI for the Cayman.:kiss:

I hate diesels. Not a fan.

However I'd much much rather have a 2.0 TDI over the 2.0 FSI.

The FSI is underpowered and a pretty rubbish choice for an A3.

I've got an FSI and would also say that it gets a bad press on here. When I bought mine I didn't even test drive the TDI, basically because I was thinking that diesels are slow and rubbish.
Ok, I was wrong.

But since owning my car I've driven a couple of similar aged TDI 140's and I just can't see how anyone who has driven both could possibily say that the TDI is so much better than an FSI.
I think what makes the TDI "feel" quicker than the FSI is its low down torque, so you get an immediate shove in the back when you put your foot down (although it runs out pretty quickly), whereas the FSI gives a smoother delivery so doesn't feel as quick.
But side by side there is nothing in it.

On the flip side, the FSI is slightly quicker to 60 according to their stats, has a bit more bnp, but not enough to mean it really is quicker.

If tuning is what is wanted then, yes, forget the FSI. But as standard and to be kept standard there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two, they just offer it in a different way.

I've got an FSI and would also say that it gets a bad press on here. When I bought mine I didn't even test drive the TDI, basically because I was thinking that diesels are slow and rubbish.
Ok, I was wrong.

But since owning my car I've driven a couple of similar aged TDI 140's and I just can't see how anyone who has driven both could possibily say that the TDI is so much better than an FSI.
I think what makes the TDI "feel" quicker than the FSI is its low down torque, so you get an immediate shove in the back when you put your foot down (although it runs out pretty quickly), whereas the FSI gives a smoother delivery so doesn't feel as quick.
But side by side there is nothing in it.

On the flip side, the FSI is slightly quicker to 60 according to their stats, has a bit more bnp, but not enough to mean it really is quicker.

If tuning is what is wanted then, yes, forget the FSI. But as standard and to be kept standard there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two, they just offer it in a different way.

The BHP figure is similar for both. But as the TDI has more torque, it does feel quicker. Who cares what it says on paper...

The BHP figure is similar for both. But as the TDI has more torque, it does feel quicker. Who cares what it says on paper...

The fsi has about 10 bhp more. But you're right, what's on paper doesn't always transfer to the road.

The tdi just feels quicker, that's what I said. But really it ain't.

Reasons for FSi over TDi

dodgy early cylinder heads cracking
turbos blowing at low mileage
Dual mass flywheels failing at low mileage
EGR valves failing at low mileage
FSi easier to pick up with lower mileage

Reasons for TDi over FSi

More torque, especially if remapped
Better fuel economy

The FSi isnt THAT slow, is certainly not fast though - I think the 6 speed box makes it seem slower & tall gearing for better MPG doesn't help. Also, catch the turbo off boost.....

In my mind if you want a faster car, go for the TDi, if you want a cheaper car to run in the long run - FSi, sure the mpg is better on the TDi but thats soon wiped out by having to replace a turbo or DMF. Most of the taxi drivers in my area have swapped back onto petrol engines for that reason.

The fsi has about 10 bhp more. But you're right, what's on paper doesn't always transfer to the road.

The tdi just feels quicker, that's what I said. But really it ain't.

If I had a PD140 to make it a bit fairer (the 170 I've got would destroy it even if it was still standard) I'd quite happily put it up against a 2.0FSI to show its faster. I have no doubt what so ever that it would be.

I dont condone racing though :happy:

If I had a PD140 to make it a bit fairer I'd quite happily put it up against a 2.0FSI to show its faster. I have no doubt what so ever that it would be.

You'd be wrong, and sad.
Been there and done it, quite a few times, and it easily goes either way :yes:

And as someone has stated, the second you're off boost and left only with DI; well............. :crying:

What I notice when having a tear ups with PD140's is....... they jump off a bit quicker, but with each of their gear changes I reel them back in quite quickly. And the fact that they've had to change up to about 6th while I'm still in 2nd doesn't help them either! :lmfao:

At low revs the FSI is pretty dire, but after getting used to how it drives its pretty easy to adjust your driving style to get the best out of the engine. Keeping revs high really makes a difference.
The FSI has a noticeable increase in power somewhere around 3500 rpm and continues well throughout the rest of the range.

But like I said, I'm by no means saying that the FSI is a "fast car", but all this talk of it being slow is unfair. And to speak highly of the TDI 140 against the FSI, in their standard forms, makes me think that those who do don't really have experience of driving both.

You'd be wrong, and sad.
Been there and done it, quite a few times, and it easily goes either way :yes:

And as someone has stated, the second you're off boost and left only with DI; well............. :crying:

What I notice when having a tear ups with PD140's is....... they jump off a bit quicker, but with each of their gear changes I reel them back in quite quickly. And the fact that they've had to change up to about 6th while I'm still in 2nd doesn't help them either! :lmfao:

At low revs the FSI is pretty dire, but after getting used to how it drives its pretty easy to adjust your driving style to get the best out of the engine. Keeping revs high really makes a difference.
The FSI has a noticeable increase in power somewhere around 3500 rpm and continues well throughout the rest of the range.

But like I said, I'm by no means saying that the FSI is a "fast car", but all this talk of it being slow is unfair. And to speak highly of the TDI 140 against the FSI, in their standard forms, makes me think that those who do don't really have experience of driving both.

Your Right Mate...I own A 2.0 FSI. And in no way it's Slow...People drive my car and say it's pretty fast. I've also driven my friends 2.0 TDI and I would stay in terms of speed and power it's on the same level. To put everything to rest I’m thinking of a race between my car and his car. I'll need to think of a suitable place to race & to film it. I'll post it on a YouTube when everything is done...

Your Right Mate...I own A 2.0 FSI. And in no way it's Slow...People drive my car and say it's pretty fast.

That surprises me, my 3.2 has an extra 100bhp over the 2.0 FSI and I wouldn't describe that as fast!

I'd rather buy a Kia Picanto.

I can see why..... :hubbahubba:

kia1.jpg

kia2.jpg

kia3y.jpg

On the track, FSI but on the (real world) roads, TDI then?

I'd rarely get the opportunity these days (commute traffic, generally) to take advantage of a petrol engine, so I now enjoy the lively torque of the TDI (CR).

40.9mpg 2.0 FSI
48.7mpg 2.0 TDI
49.6mpg 1.4 T
35.7mpg 2.0 T

I think I'm going to change my Engine to a 1.4 T :faint:

40.9mpg 2.0 FSI
48.7mpg 2.0 TDI
49.6mpg 1.4 T
35.7mpg 2.0 T

I think I'm going to change my Engine to a 1.4 T :faint:

Judging by the reports from the 1.6 TDI I'd take the 1.4T figures with a handful of salt!

Judging by the reports from the 1.6 TDI I'd take the 1.4T figures with a handful of salt!

I did'nt know they made a 1.6 TDI lol

1.6 TDI 68.9mpg :hubbahubba:WOW I would still go for the 1.4 T thou..

I had the 1.4 TSI (Supercharged Turbo) in my GT Sport TSI 170.. cracking engine, people that slag it.. most of the time have no idea what they are talking about.

I had the 1.4 TSI (Supercharged Turbo) in my GT Sport TSI 170.. cracking engine, people that slag it.. most of the time have no idea what they are talking about.

Do you know if it Would be possible to change my 2.0 FSI into a 1.4 TSI ?