esp not working

motorboy20

Reaction score
hi all,i have a 53reg 20tdi sport a3,my esp isnt working,the switch does nothing,and there is no light on the dsh ect,and it doesnt stop wheelspin ect ect,can anyone help,what to test,look for ect,many thanks

I thought ESP ( electronic stability programme or similar ) only kicked in when the car recognised that it was in an unstable state i.e. about to enter a spin on a corner etc. thereby helping to return the car into stable mode. As far as I'm aware it has nothing to do with stopping wheelspin ( isn't that traction control ? ) and you need to be in an unstable condition to test it which is defo not advised !

If ESP was faulty/broken you should have the ESP light permanently lit on the dash usually accompanied by the ABS warning light. When ESP is turned off i.e. you press the ESP button the ESP light will permanently display in the dash. When ESP is on the ESP light will not be lit within the dash.

When ESP is on and working (i.e. when you lose traction) the ESP light will flash. You could try pulling away quickly on a slippery surface to check whether its flashing or not and you should also be able to tell whether its cutting power to the wheels in this instance. If it is cutting power and the ESP light isnt flashing then the ESP bulb could have gone.

Take it for a diagnostic if you can, any faults should show.

hi,im aware that the light will only show when ive turned it off,but i get nothing on the dash,even when i turn on the ignition first,get the usual warning lights up,abs ect but no esp light,ive pulled away quickly,in the wet ect but nothing kicks in,anyone???

It sounds to me like either a duff button or a wiring issue, as already advised get it scanned as it should illuminate in your cluster when off.

Link in my sig for users with vcds near you.