Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 1.6 or a BMW 116i Need help Deciding

As the title says. I have just been into a used car showroom, and bmw 116i's and 1 series in general are goign really cheap. I sore a titanium coloured 3 door 2005 with 42k mileage and its on for 5995. Audi seem to be alot expesiver. Why is this?

Thank You

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 (8P)

Status
    I think the 1 series unusual styling has dented its popularity.
    Apparently they drive pretty well and the purists like the rwd layout.
    But in reality most 1 er punters wont care about rwd and sideways antics

Personally I think the 1 er looks like a moose.

Hopefully BMW get the styling right on the next one. Give us A3/S3 owners a bit more choice.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I'm not a fan of the look of the 1 series, especially if it's not a coupe. RWD is great, but it makes sod all difference in a 1.6 to be honest, it's not going to shred the tarmac.

Go for the "more expensiver" option and get an Audi, you wont be upset about it, and it looks much nicer.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd agree, I feel the styling of the one is a bit odd - and I'm informed came to life as a rover design when BMW still owned them. Besides, the a3/s3 is better built IMO

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danA3T View Post
    I'd agree, I feel the styling of the one is a bit odd - and I'm informed came to life as a rover design when BMW still owned them. Besides, the a3/s3 is better built IMO
    It shares a lot of chassis components with the E90 3-Series, so unlikely it's Rover based, and styling was very Bangly too.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Had a RWD Beamer and was pants in the snow earlier in the year and the wet. Handling wasnt as good as my quattro and the 1 looks ok but not a patch on the A3/S3! I'd choose Audi over it.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    Had a RWD Beamer and was pants in the snow earlier in the year and the wet. Handling wasnt as good as my quattro and the 1 looks ok but not a patch on the A3/S3! I'd choose Audi over it.
    In the snow, my mate spent an hour stuck in my driveway in his 325i Coupe. Wheel spinning and snaking. I hadn't even noticed there was snow driving my A3! But for the 95% of the year when it's not very snowy, a RWD BMW will drive better than an Audi.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    It shares a lot of chassis components with the E90 3-Series, so unlikely it's Rover based, and styling was very Bangly too.
    Many believe it is true. The R30 concept by Rover that was at advanced stages of development before being canned just prior to the takeover looks remarkably similar to the 1 series that came out not long after the takeover. It of course will never be confirmed, and who'd blame them, but when you see the pictures it kind of makes sense.

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Many believe it is true. The R30 concept by Rover that was at advanced stages of development before being canned just prior to the takeover looks remarkably similar to the 1 series that came out not long after the takeover. It of course will never be confirmed, and who'd blame them, but when you see the pictures it kind of makes sense.
    Just saying the 1 Series was clearly a Bangle design, and he was designing BMW's not Rovers. Even if there are some design similarities, it's got too much BMW DNA to be a Rover with a BMW badge!

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Oh come on...what IQ is your mate if he spends an hour in his driveway spinning his wheels ??Did the penny drop or did he run out of petrol And as for coming on an A3 forum and asking what's best...an A3 or a BM ??
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Oh come on...what IQ is your mate if he spends an hour in his driveway spinning his wheels ?? And as for coming on an A3 forum and asking what's best...an A3 or a BM ??
    Cheers Paddy

He's not very clever. But when I say he spent an hour spinning his wheels.... that wasn't meant quite so literally! We ended up digging a path from my neighbours drive, which he somehow ended up down, out into the street. It took an hour from him getting stuck to getting out.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    What you smoking tonight then Pete ? Puss dripping down a skanks legs ??....whoooa can i have some ?
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Status
    Just saying the 1 Series was clearly a Bangle design, and he was designing BMW's not Rovers. Even if there are some design similarities, it's got too much BMW DNA to be a Rover with a BMW badge!
    Of course, and it's only a vague resemblance anyway but Bangle could quite easily have taken the Rover deign and applied his own design cues to it. I'm in 2 minds about the whole idea, one side says why would BMW waste all the money that Rover had spent designing a new concept that was pretty much ready to go without using at least some aspects of it, the other side says don't be a fool nick, this is BMW, what on earth would they be doing using a bl**dy Rover design!

And now i've just realised we're talking about BMWs AND Rovers, which is not healthy!

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    What you smoking tonight then Pete ? Puss dripping down a skanks legs ??....whoooa can i have some ?
    Nothing sadly Pleased you liked that one though

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    And now i've just realised we're talking about BMWs AND Rovers, which is not healthy!
    And I've just realised I couldn't give a toss who designed it, as I don't like the 1 Series, or Rovers. Maybe we'll end this one here eh?

Status
    And I've just realised I couldn't give a toss who designed it, as I don't like the 1 Series, or Rovers. Maybe we'll end this one here eh?
    No way, i'm ending it!

www.essexdriversclub.com

1st Gear

Status
    A3 all day long I personally don't think BMW can do a nice cabin at all and the A3 cabin is easily best in class
    Now - A1 1.6TDI S-Line in Amfali White with comfort pack

A3 2.0TDI gone but not forgotten

Reverse Gear

Status
    i understand whatt your seying. So A3 it is. I personally think the 1 series looks O.k. and nothing more, got nothing on the A3.