Audi A3 1.6 or a BMW 116i Need help Deciding

Azizur_Rahman

Reaction score
As the title says. I have just been into a used car showroom, and bmw 116i's and 1 series in general are goign really cheap. I sore a titanium coloured 3 door 2005 with 42k mileage and its on for £5995. Audi seem to be alot expesiver. Why is this?

Thank You

I think the 1 series unusual styling has dented its popularity.
Apparently they drive pretty well and the purists like the rwd layout.
But in reality most 1 er punters wont care about rwd and sideways antics

Personally I think the 1 er looks like a moose.

Hopefully BMW get the styling right on the next one. Give us A3/S3 owners a bit more choice.

Cheers
Paul

I'm not a fan of the look of the 1 series, especially if it's not a coupe. RWD is great, but it makes sod all difference in a 1.6 to be honest, it's not going to shred the tarmac.

Go for the "more expensiver" option and get an Audi, you wont be upset about it, and it looks much nicer.

I'd agree, I feel the styling of the one is a bit odd - and I'm informed came to life as a rover design when BMW still owned them. Besides, the a3/s3 is better built IMO

I'd agree, I feel the styling of the one is a bit odd - and I'm informed came to life as a rover design when BMW still owned them. Besides, the a3/s3 is better built IMO

It shares a lot of chassis components with the E90 3-Series, so unlikely it's Rover based, and styling was very Bangly too.

Had a RWD Beamer and was pants in the snow earlier in the year and the wet. Handling wasnt as good as my quattro and the 1 looks ok but not a patch on the A3/S3! I'd choose Audi over it.

Had a RWD Beamer and was pants in the snow earlier in the year and the wet. Handling wasnt as good as my quattro and the 1 looks ok but not a patch on the A3/S3! I'd choose Audi over it.

In the snow, my mate spent an hour stuck in my driveway in his 325i Coupe. Wheel spinning and snaking. I hadn't even noticed there was snow driving my A3! But for the 95% of the year when it's not very snowy, a RWD BMW will drive better than an Audi.

It shares a lot of chassis components with the E90 3-Series, so unlikely it's Rover based, and styling was very Bangly too.

Many believe it is true. The R30 concept by Rover that was at advanced stages of development before being canned just prior to the takeover looks remarkably similar to the 1 series that came out not long after the takeover. It of course will never be confirmed, and who'd blame them, but when you see the pictures it kind of makes sense.

Many believe it is true. The R30 concept by Rover that was at advanced stages of development before being canned just prior to the takeover looks remarkably similar to the 1 series that came out not long after the takeover. It of course will never be confirmed, and who'd blame them, but when you see the pictures it kind of makes sense.

Just saying the 1 Series was clearly a Bangle design, and he was designing BMW's not Rovers. Even if there are some design similarities, it's got too much BMW DNA to be a Rover with a BMW badge!

Oh come on...what IQ is your mate if he spends an hour in his driveway spinning his wheels ??Did the penny drop or did he run out of petrol ;) And as for coming on an A3 forum and asking what's best...an A3 or a BM ??

Oh come on...what IQ is your mate if he spends an hour in his driveway spinning his wheels ?? And as for coming on an A3 forum and asking what's best...an A3 or a BM ??

Cheers Paddy ;)

He's not very clever. But when I say he spent an hour spinning his wheels.... that wasn't meant quite so literally! We ended up digging a path from my neighbours drive, which he somehow ended up down, out into the street. It took an hour from him getting stuck to getting out.

What you smoking tonight then Pete ? Puss dripping down a skanks legs ??....whoooa ;) can i have some ?

Just saying the 1 Series was clearly a Bangle design, and he was designing BMW's not Rovers. Even if there are some design similarities, it's got too much BMW DNA to be a Rover with a BMW badge!

Of course, and it's only a vague resemblance anyway but Bangle could quite easily have taken the Rover deign and applied his own design cues to it. I'm in 2 minds about the whole idea, one side says why would BMW waste all the money that Rover had spent designing a new concept that was pretty much ready to go without using at least some aspects of it, the other side says don't be a fool nick, this is BMW, what on earth would they be doing using a bl**dy Rover design!

And now i've just realised we're talking about BMWs AND Rovers, which is not healthy!

And now i've just realised we're talking about BMWs AND Rovers, which is not healthy!

And I've just realised I couldn't give a toss who designed it, as I don't like the 1 Series, or Rovers. Maybe we'll end this one here eh?

A3 all day long I personally don't think BMW can do a nice cabin at all and the A3 cabin is easily best in class

i understand whatt your seying. So A3 it is. I personally think the 1 series looks O.k. and nothing more, got nothing on the A3.