Symphony stereo switching itself off!

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
Just sold my A3 and the new owner is telling me the radio is switching itself off randomly! He's on a 7 hour journey after picking up the car and its happened a few times so far en-route. It has happened to me in the past but only a handful of times, very rarely, not enough for it to be worth investigating.

The car is still under warranty (07 plate 2.0 TDi sline) so should get fixed ok by Audi under warranty but just curious if anyone has had the same problem?

Cheers!

A friend of mine reported the same problem, if it is switching itself off while driviing i believe thats normal. If you don`t touch the stereo for over an hour (volume, stations etc) after 1 hour and 10 minutes it switches off.

Never happened to me, because i play with the stereo every few minutes :)

A friend of mine reported the same problem, if it is switching itself off while driviing i believe thats normal. If you don`t touch the stereo for over an hour (volume, stations etc) after 1 hour and 10 minutes it switches off.

Never happened to me, because i play with the stereo every few minutes :)

I thought the timer feature was if the stereo was left on whilst keys not in ignition, engine running to stop battery going flat?

THere is a self timer, can remember how long that switches the radio off while the engine is off too.
That`s just a safety precaution for the battery going flat.

The other feature, with the radio switching off whilst driving, is another thing. I didn`t know that also but a friend told me what happened to him and we realised that it was normal. I just cant
test it because i can`t keep my hands off the radio for +1 hour :)

Yeah I've had occasional problems with mine turning itself off seemingly at random. Sometimes on short journeys too, half hour or less. Can't work out why, but wondered if it could be something to do with the MP3 cd's I'm playing or possibly the bluetooth to iphone sync. Doesn't happen very often so not really pursued the issue.

I wonder if it could be related to battery charging? In some modern cars if the battery shows any sign of dropping in power the unnecessary ancillaries start switching themselves off (radio etc...)

Once I left my interior light on by mistake and the next morning I couldn't turn the RNS-E on for about 5 minutes, and wondered whether it may be down to the battery being low on charge.

Seems weird it would happen mid journey a the alternator should have had ample time to charge the battery unless the alternator brushes are worn.