AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    SMc
    1st Gear

Status

Symphony stereo switching itself off!

Just sold my A3 and the new owner is telling me the radio is switching itself off randomly! He's on a 7 hour journey after picking up the car and its happened a few times so far en-route. It has happened to me in the past but only a handful of times, very rarely, not enough for it to be worth investigating.

The car is still under warranty (07 plate 2.0 TDi sline) so should get fixed ok by Audi under warranty but just curious if anyone has had the same problem?

Cheers!
    On my 3rd Audi.....my latest PROJECT...... a 2002 A4 1.9TDi Avant Sport.... wrapped matt white with 19" VMR matt black wheels.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    A friend of mine reported the same problem, if it is switching itself off while driviing i believe thats normal. If you don`t touch the stereo for over an hour (volume, stations etc) after 1 hour and 10 minutes it switches off.

Never happened to me, because i play with the stereo every few minutes
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aristides View Post
    A friend of mine reported the same problem, if it is switching itself off while driviing i believe thats normal. If you don`t touch the stereo for over an hour (volume, stations etc) after 1 hour and 10 minutes it switches off.

Never happened to me, because i play with the stereo every few minutes
    I thought the timer feature was if the stereo was left on whilst keys not in ignition, engine running to stop battery going flat?
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

3rd Gear

Status
    THere is a self timer, can remember how long that switches the radio off while the engine is off too.
    That`s just a safety precaution for the battery going flat.

The other feature, with the radio switching off whilst driving, is another thing. I didn`t know that also but a friend told me what happened to him and we realised that it was normal. I just cant
    test it because i can`t keep my hands off the radio for +1 hour
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I've had occasional problems with mine turning itself off seemingly at random. Sometimes on short journeys too, half hour or less. Can't work out why, but wondered if it could be something to do with the MP3 cd's I'm playing or possibly the bluetooth to iphone sync. Doesn't happen very often so not really pursued the issue.
    Sold:Audi S3 (2008 8P2 with upgrades by NHN)
    Phantom Black
    , Bucket Seats, Sunroof, Parking Sensors, FBMFSW, Armrest Phone Prep, Privacy Glass, ILP, FTW, BOSE, RNSE MkII SDS & AMI, Cruise Control, MY11 Folding/Dimming Mirrors, MY11 Rear Lights, Auto Lights/Wipers

Status
    I wonder if it could be related to battery charging? In some modern cars if the battery shows any sign of dropping in power the unnecessary ancillaries start switching themselves off (radio etc...)

Once I left my interior light on by mistake and the next morning I couldn't turn the RNS-E on for about 5 minutes, and wondered whether it may be down to the battery being low on charge.

Seems weird it would happen mid journey a the alternator should have had ample time to charge the battery unless the alternator brushes are worn.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap