problem when idling

sam1014

happy happy happy :)
Reaction score
When my car is just sittin there with the engine on, it is kinda juddering, like it wants to conk out.
does anyone know what may be causing it and how i could fix it please. its really starting to annoy me now.

thankyou.

is it like a low frequency 'wobble' ? i got this with my 2.0 tdi after my map was changed. It turned out to be the engine idling at too low a speed. (around 800rpm) took it back to PD Tuning here in the North East and they put it up to about 920rpm ... this is around what Audi suggest is optimal and its much much smoother.

yeh thts a good description "low frequency wobble"
i went to a company to get my windows tinted and they do engine enhancments, and i enquired about gettin it remapped, and the guy said he wouldnt touch it at the moment cuz of it being like this. he reckons it just needs a good service, but i only bought the car 3months ago and the guy i bought it off said he'd just got it serviced.
one of my friends at work said it might be one the of the sensors or something like that?

its starting to get me quite nervous now cuz it reli feels like its about to conk out :crying:

F**K!!! I really really hope its not the flywheel then!!

That's Audi prices of course mate, always worth looking at getting the local garage to do it

Would be about half price

On a 2.0TDI it's a very common problem

oh right.
how sure are u that this is the problem??
cuz my dad can get audi parts VERY cheap through a friend, but i dont wanna replace it, if it isnt that.

Check out the advice about the tick over 1st mate as if its too low it will vibrate the engine on its mountings and feel as if it will conk out.
Also check out the pully belts are at the right tension as they can vibrate a bit if very slack but wont affect the tick over so wont feel like it will stall but may shake the engine a bit

Once you prove or disprove the tick over, then you can look a bit further if you need to ie the DMF sticking or totaly shot!
Diagnostics are there to work out a fault, dont just jump in and replace the most expensive part work through problems properly it will save you a fortune as you can then just replace the faulty part or even cost you nothing to turn up the tick over!

Gaz m

Does the vibration go away once you are driving?

If the fly wheel is shot I would expect some form of vibration all through the rev range mate especialy in high gears at low steady revs. is this the case?

Gaz

thanx gaz,
yeh it does go away once moving. ... i think. I'll have to double check to be honest.
Thankyou for all the advice, i shall be giving my dad a list of things to check lol.
where do i find adivce on the tick over? will it be in my audi manual

i have also noticed a noise when goin round bends? its kinda like a clicky sorta noise and vibrates. its doesnt do it all the time. Are these related in any way? or is this another problem i have? :(

The bad tick over if thats what it proves to be could be caused by a few things mate so you need to look out for a few options ok

Air leaks on pipes on or runing to the inlet manifold
leaking exhaust
damaged or sticking EGR valve
Dirty fuel filter
Dirty air filter
Check them out one by one mate and see what you find?
The other fault sounds like a cv joint, is it on full lock when turning and which wheel listen out and it will sort of pin point itself?

Also something else to consider is worn engine mounts grab the top of the engine and try to rock the engine back and forth it should only give a little with no noise or clunks then try side to side ?
See how you get on mate and let us know.

Gaz

just had my clutch replaced and new dmf and mine shakes like a bad boy idiling but i think im just gonna have to live with it
im never gonna get my new wheels at this rate grrrrr:mad:

thanx very much for all the help gaz. really appreciate it. might try the filters 1st.