Anyone had a new front wheel bearing fitted on their A3?

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have got a heavy rumbling noise coming from the passenger side which is getting noiser and noiser as the weeks go on, the car has got 40k miles on the clock and usually wheel bearings last ALOT longer than that.

I am going to change the wheel bearing unit next weekend on the driveway however its £150 from Audi so i wanna make sure its the bearing not the cv joint or something, i got no knocking or any strange noises when on full lock which suggests its not the CV joints.

Has anyone else had a new bearing wheel at such low mileage?

Im sure somebody had problems with wheel bearings a while back. As you say, 40k is pathetic. The 8P isnt a patch on the 8L build quality!!

I had my fronts changed under warranty on the Ibis S3, the car was 8 months old and had done about 8,000 miles, apparently they had changed several under warranty at the time.

I had a front replaced on my 08 plate S3 in Jan with 19k on !

Did you have any vibration symptoms or just a rumble, I have another post on the vibration and wonder if the wheel bearings are the culprit

no vibration, just a droning rumble.

got the wheel bearing, £100 for a genuine one, will fit it this weekend to see if it solves the issue! if not then it will be VERY annoying as i will have wasted £100!

well what a waste of £100 and 2 hrs of my afternoon fitting a new wheel bearing!

the rumbling noise is still there! ***!

changed mine in the rear last year, suspected the tire but is was the bearing.. 85000km.. easy fix :)