Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG Running Issues***ADVICE PLEASE***

phil08

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have had a few running issues with my car its on 80,000 and is a 54 plate model.

Recently the revs when stationary were hunting causing the car to shake a little however once i revved the car it would stop.

The car went to Audi and they replaced the DSG ECU at a cost of over £2000 for free for me, the problem went away for a few weeks but then came back last week!!

I placed the car on ebay and someone agreed to buy it knowing the issues for £6500 which is massively reduced over the other cars around. Today I have gone to clean it and left it running for 5-10 mins and the problem was there immediately. I opened the bonnet and the engine was really shaking and the revs were hunting. Again, revved the car and it went away!

However decided to check the levels as usual and found under the oil cap a light brown residue with air bubbles in it, smelt the cap and it smells very similar to petrol!!

I have duly emailed the buyer to let him know as i can't justify selling it like that without him knowing.

I have taken a picture of the cap which I can email someone but has anyone got any clues as to what has gone wrong?

I know VAG cars have coilpacks which go and that can be the symptoms of the hunting revs but this oil cap issue is worrying and now when I really need to sell the car its concerning me ( financial reasons meaning it needs to go now whatever)

I can't afford to fix the car and plan to re-advertise on ebay for a reduced price in the hope someone is willing to buy a very very cheap car and fix it which their know how

Last edited:
And just to add there are no warning lights on the car whatsoever and the car runs fine when its not sitting still

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I had faulty VVT solenoids that caused exactly those symptoms. £2Kish to fix from Audi.

Yeah I remember you saying....I think I have done the right thing although I have lost a sale at at £6500 I couldn't bear to sell it someone who didn't know that...although its always buyer beware and theres little emphasis on the seller I want the car to go to someone who is prepared to repair either themselves or by a mechanic/technican rather then come back and have a go at me!!

Pete did you continue to run the car before it was repaired as my car is perfect other then when sat still for more then 5 mins and was it a big job I can't beleive Audi would make a car like this which have problems so early in their lives!

LOL....Audi DO make cars like that. Mine was doing what your was doing this morning with the engine shaking about. this is the first time i have got it to a garage while its still doing it. after running like that for 3-4 mins its like flicking a switch and its fine. with no fault code and with the fault being random i was told it would be near imposable to fix !! they could easily spend thousands looking for the fault and still not find it. So there you have it, 40K miles and i cant sell it and its getting to unreliable to use daily. I am now looking to buy a new car but this one will probably be parked outside audi's with a large notice on it...DONT BUY AN AUDI.

Not sure about your oil cap ? i would expect some condensation at this time of year and the petrol smell could just be that the dead cylinders are flooding. You might for example just have a duff plug ? so i wouldnt lose heart to quickly..j

Last edited:
Its just disppointing..I have no lose in performance and the car is getting the same MPG etc Do people think I'd be selling the car too cheap by reducing it and putting it on ebay? I can't afford a £2000 bill and when it went to Audi they siad the DSG was the issue which clearly its not

Could part ex it! You seem like a very honourable man Phil, and a responsible seller. But at the end of the day, if you part ex it the garage will fix it for alot less than you wilol and will still make money..... possibly. Sorry to hear your problems gents. Mine's been fine so far, but is manual. Hope a solution is found! Are you all on the AVS? I really have my doubts about that system!!! For the sake of a yearly oil change, I won't be using it thats for sure!

Its just disppointing..I have no lose in performance and the car is getting the same MPG etc Do people think I'd be selling the car too cheap by reducing it and putting it on ebay? I can't afford a £2000 bill and when it went to Audi they siad the DSG was the issue which clearly its not

I'd be tempted to take it back to Audi. If they misdiagnosed the fault and charged you £2K for a repair it didn't need doing, then it should come back on them.

I did run my car until it got fixed for a couple of weeks. I originally thought I had stretched chains - driving if this is the case could end in a big bang and tears, but with the solenoids I don't believe it was causing any damage, and as you say it's intermittent.

Pete..did you have fault codes with your problem ?
today i have codes for the first time

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

That said, it still could be anything from ignition to fuel pressure and air leaks to cam solenoids. but at least the ****** thing now acknowledges a fault...lol

Well the issue with Px the car is that I am being offered £6000 for it, some garages don't even want to touch it as it has DSG and I'm pretty sure even on a P/x most garages will want to run my car first and if they run it when this issue arises they will i'm sure not want it or offer me silly money.

I didn't pay for the Audi fix I got it sorted for free as I knew the manager but I think i used up my freebie on the needless changing of the DSG ECU.

If the cars private value is around the £8000 mark then I do genuinely think someone has a bargain with this car once its fixed

Pete..did you have fault codes with your problem ?
today i have codes for the first time

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

That said, it still could be anything from ignition to fuel pressure and air leaks to cam solenoids. but at least the ****** thing now acknowledges a fault...lol

I did have a number of fault codes, but haven't got Vagcom so didn't see them myself and haven't got a print out. Most of mine were relating to the timing being out, which is why the first garage assumed it was an issue with the chains.

Well the car is sold now...all in all lost nearly £4000 in a year in value on it...something rare for an Audi i'm sure, I'll be off searching for a SKoda Octavia VRS to keep me with some wheels for the moment!

Well the car is sold now...all in all lost nearly �4000 in a year in value on it...something rare for an Audi i'm sure, I'll be off searching for a SKoda Octavia VRS to keep me with some wheels for the moment!

i had the same faults with my S8 turned out the intermittant siglnal loss was faulty O2 sensors. replaced them and problem fixed.