Card tray to cup holder advice...

WelshWoody83

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wanting a little advice if possible. I was wanting to change the card tray in my 2007 A3 to a cup holder as I thought I would probably use it more but the guy on the Parts department at my local Audi deler (Bridgend) said that it is too wide and wont fit ? Is this true because 1, I`ve seen guides showing how to swap them and 2 I`ve seen them on ebay saying they are direct replacement.

Thanks, Chris

Hi Welshwoody,

The AUDI tech is sort of right. Both the cupholder and card tray mechanisms are the same width so they both fit. The problem comes when you try and replace the switch surround facia.
The cup holder facia (front bit with cup logo) is wider that your current card tray facia. Therefore you need to unclip the front off your existing card tray and clip that on to the cupholder mechanism. As mentioned by Pii, in step 4) of boggyms guide, you will have to trim down the side(s) of the cupholder mechanism to get the coin tray front to clip on properly.

It is a very good and easy mod on the pre face lift models.

You will also need to trim the back part of the cupholder see step 5) of boggyms guide.

Be thankfull you don't have a facelift model like mine - loads more trimming, way more difficult :banghead:
but still worth it :yes:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?82418-Cup-holder-mod-for-facelift-A3-S3&p=840071&highlight=#post840071

Is your card tray by any chance illuminated? I would be interested in buying it , even without the fascia!

Hi, thanks to everyone for your replies. I followed the guide you linked to me and it worked perfectly, got the cup holder for £10 through ebay and trimed the front before putting the card holder front on it. It opens up perfectly without having to trim anything else. Unfortunately neither the card tray or drinks holder were illuminated but I can live with that. I just didnt have a need for the card holder.
Thanks again,
Chris