My S3 brakes do not stop squeaking!

eugegall

Reaction score
Obviously when im slowing down but for about a year non stop when im stopping they do the loudest most high pitch squeak!

So i poped into Audi today for them to tell me that its one of the S3's caricaturistics.

IS HE HAVING ME ON?

Yeah he's having something, what a load of ******

Birmingham Audi changed my pads on the previous S3 due to squealing, the car had covered 7,000 miles when I first reported it, they commented Audi were aware of an issue with some of the pads and now use a revised compound, don't know how true all this was but I'd try another Dealer.

mine used to squeal like crazy on my 58 S3 SB, 4k miles. Every brake, from 30mph to 0. People used to stare in their rear view and panic.

I took it in for an inspection, and they replaced them FOC.

no more noisy brakes.

All s3 brakes squeal after hard use. It's a rather known issue. I changed the pads 5.000 miles ago and have no squealing issues since. I used Ferodo Premier pads

My original pads used to squeal all the time. I needed new pads and discs a while back and put on OEM parts and not heard a dicky bird out of them. I guess Audi must have changed them, probably following all the complaints they've had!

l had my fronts done under warranty. Seems that the pads contain to much ferrous. Audi will sort it, if not your local then take it to another audi dealer, if its in warranty. lve also heard that if you take the leading edge of the pads with a file that helps, but that was just a general mechie.

mine does it too. it's really annoying :uhm:

Time for new brakes :wub:

IMG_2946.jpg

lve also heard that if you take the leading edge of the pads with a file that helps, but that was just a general mechie.

I'd agree with that, would help not to create that glazed effect & this is usually IMHO where the screeching comes from on the lip area, a good skim has always cured this for me.

I don't know if this would help if this is a known issue but when I had my CTR I had a really bad squeaking problem after sticking on new disc and pads. To solve it I did what I should have done in the beginning to bed them in:

Accelerate to 60-65mph then hammer on the anchors almost to the point of ABS kicking in until you get to 10mph (do not stop!).
Repeat this a further 7 times (8 decelerations in total) and you find that you probably start to get some fade and smell the pads cooking, this is what you want as it de-glazes the system and imparts a new boundry layer between the pad and disc.

After the last deceleration drive at 60-70mph for a good couple of miles without hitting the brakes to let them cool.
This worked for my CTR straight away and should give you good brake feel too.

Hope it helps, but like I say, if there is a known issue then it may only work temporarily or not at all... :unsure:

Birmingham Audi changed my pads on the previous S3 due to squealing, the car had covered 7,000 miles when I first reported it, they commented Audi were aware of an issue with some of the pads and now use a revised compound, don't know how true all this was but I'd try another Dealer.

ditto, i got told by an audi service engineer that they have developed a revised compound pad and that they purposely try to fob people off for as long as possible without replacing (e.g tell you they will deglaze, clean down your existing (this will not work long term trust me)... but if you hassle hard enough like i did cause it f***in drove me insane they will change them, havent had one squeak since...

nothing worse than in the summer blinging fresh car go to stop and squeeeaaakkk, so embarassing in your 30k hatch!!!

Mine does it but only after i give it a beating...
Stops squeling once it cools down.

I installed Pagid discs and pads on our TT and had a squeak. I replaced the pads with Brembo and no problems since.

Reactions: gagotelli
Good to know! Is that the recommended pads that I should get installed for a S series?
My comment was to show you that some pads squeak but others don’t.
why were the front discs skimmed? If it was to remove run out then fine, if it was to remove the rusty lip on the outer edge because they are worn, I’d be preferring new discs.