I want one!!

reggie79

Reaction score
Hi guys,
right i'm new here and am looking for some inside information, figured this would be the perfect place. I'm currently in the forces serving overseas and am looking to buy an audi s3 with my hard earned cash when i get back later this year. Having been looking arounnd this seems to be the car that ticks most of the boxes for me, however! I am looking at one no older than 2007 with less than 20k on the clock.
what does the car come with as standard, on looking at advertisers selling i see a lot of things such as BOSE sound system, IPOD connectors etc, do these come as standard on all models or are they extras i should look out for??
i know things such as Satnav, cruise control etc are...
i have read about there being a fair bit of turbo lag, how true is this??? although i was looking at a remap and a miltek exhaust once purchased so shouldn't imagine this being much of a problem after that.
what are the servicing costs?? Tyres etc??
Lastly, are there any reoccuring problems or things to be aware of with these cars, especially biggys to look out for when looking for which i am going to buy???
Outside of this I was possibly looking at a Golf Edition 30, how do the 2 compare if at all, should imagine everybody here is extremely biased though lol, would be greatful for any help or advice you guys can give me............

First of all I'd say you have come to the right place. Funnily enough my last 3 cars have been Golf GTi's MK4&5, my last was Revo mapped to 260bhp, even though this is roughly the same power as and S3, the Audi is a far inferior car to the Golf, much more luxurious and with the Quattro system just isn't anything else on the road that compares IMO. Last night I found myself up against a brand new Focus RS and I can tell you there was next to nothing between them, in the bends the driver just didn't have the confidence I had in the S.

2007 with under 20k is defo possible as I just picked upa 57 with 20k on the clock 2 weeks ago, you can get even lower mileage than this but they do start to get quite rare.

Extras - Things I looked out for when buying was the flat bottom steering wheel, bose system, and satnav, allthough I was looking for one in white it was hard to get unless I paid upwards of 25k, so I chose to get the car I wanted, and upgrade these at a later date.

Servicing, tyres, etc I won't be able to help you with, but I'd imagine they're not too different to my Golf GTI's around £100-130 each.

Hope this gives you a start anyway..

Chris.

Welcome,

Std kit on the facelift ( late 2007 i think ) S3 is not bad. Std. leather, armrest, flat bottom MFSW, Dual zone climate, xenons etc. Extras are Bose, Interior Light Pack, Auto wipers / lights, Ipod, Sat Nav, Buckets, CD changer etc.

Turbo lag is evident being a KO4 compared to the GTI with a KO3, but it's not bad. Servicing costs vary greatly depending on dealer / location in UK but believe longlife services range between £200 and £350 depending on mileage.

Tyres vary between £80 to £180 depending on make.

ED30 runs the same KO4 turbo in a lower state of tune ( 230hp ) so can be remapped to the same degree, however with it being FWD only then traction is more of an issue.

Sure others will add to this and advise of any persistant / known issues ( other than clutch after Stage 2 / 2+ )

Hey mate,
I just picked up an S3 a couple of days ago from a dealer near Mansfield.
its a 57 plate with 15.5k on it.
It has full leather, heated seats 6 disk changer (1 front loader as well) and all the other bells and whistles.
I didn't get sat nav, or the ipod connector.
Its the last post on the thread that shows the cars.
What are you driving at them moment?

I have found it to be a right little pocket rocket, the turbo lag hasn't been too bad if existent at all.

All I can say is every time I drive it I smile from ear to ear, I am constantly trying to find excuses to go out in the car!

Enjoy it when you get it!

First of all I'd say you have come to the right place. Funnily enough my last 3 cars have been Golf GTi's MK4&5, my last was Revo mapped to 260bhp, even though this is roughly the same power as and S3, the Audi is a far inferior car to the Golf, much more luxurious and with the Quattro system just isn't anything else on the road that compares IMO. Chris.

Did you mean Superior !

Thanks for your comments and info guys! That's partly what puts me off the golf is it being front wheel drive, i looked at the R32 but even with it being a 3.2 V6 the audi still seems the show stealer. The ford focus is far to boy racerish, i've been driving a mk4 golf gti for the last 4 years, very dull and boring, i want something refined and classy but with the grunt to leave people behind lol, guess it's just a case of shopping around until the right one pops up!
Must haves for me are the flat bottomed steering wheel, Bose sound system, Ipod connector, satnav would be nice, not overly fussed about cruise control, i like to drive me own car lol,
how much did you pay for your 57 plate j666nty???
what sort of power could i expect with a remap and miltek added??

I paid 24,500 i think a bit steep, but I looked at it online on Saturday and it was in my drive Wednesday morning... they have a 58 plate there (with all the stuff you wanted except sat nav)and I can recommend them... Speak to Ron..

http://www.lion.autoweb1.co.uk/deta...i&selModel=0&Submit=Show+Results&cdID=5268356

I think if you want to shop around and take your time then you might get a few grand off this.

I have seen remaps taking them up to 310+ - Its on the cards for me, but will enjoy it as is at the moment (wait till the wife settles down about me buying another car!)

Look out for an s3 with buckets ,,,,,,,,,,,, they are the biz , a defo must ...............

OMG, thats expensive.....I only paid that for mine new and I had sat nav, sunroof and buckets in the price

I wanted one, I bought one.... it will be in the family for a long time!
I knew there would be some people that would of thought that that was expensive... but hey... :blush: