Cruise Control retrofit- steering now off and car seems to be pulling to right?

c_w

Reaction score
Today I had cruise control retro-fitted at an Audi dealer. All seemed to go well, and I picked the car up at the end of the day so was too late to take back. Tested the cruise control out and it all seemed fine, but I noticed that the steering wheel was off-centre (slightly to the left) when driving straight whereas before it was perfectly dead ahead (and tracked straight too). It seems the car now pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel, as though the steering wheel itself wants to self-centre??

I realise the steering wheel has had to come off to fit the cruise control so assumed the wheel just needs to turning to the right "1-spline", the main concern is the car now pulling to the right; do these cars have some kind of "positive centre" steering?

It is as though the steering is self-centering based on the actual steering wheel so that means the car is driving slightly to the right if that makes sense (have to hold the wheel slightly left to drive straight). Normally if the steering wheel has been put on at the wrong angle it wouldn't affect the tracking of the car, it would just be off-centre.

Going to take the car back tomorrow to reset the wheel but just concerned as to why it's pulling whereas it didn't before.

Last edited:
Had the exact same problem after my Cruise Control retrofit.

I also changed my steering ECU though, don`t know for sure that its the same thing.

Since i couldn`t take back the car -it was past 16:00- i decided to go for a drive. After some kilometers (around 20) the ESP light came on. The next morning i went back to my dealer and we did an
electronic calibration via their VAS system and everything worked fine later that day.

I suggest you go out for a little drive, probably your ESP light will come on too. I guess you will need calibration too.

The wheel probably just isnt on straight - it is an easy fix but i would take it back to audi if you have the time.

Same thing happened with my car when retro fitting cruise. we didnt put the wheel on totally straight - think it was out 1 or 2 notches on the spline and in result the wheel was crooked.

Thanks for the replies, I thought initially it's just the steering wheel that hasnt been put on straight but my main concern now (irrespective of the off-steering wheel) is that it's pulling to the right VERY noticeably if I let go of the wheel, not the normal creep to the left or right due to road camber but noticeable swerve.

I will join the "put the steering wheel back on wrong". Did my own retro-fit and managed to put it back on out by a couple of splines, just waiting for the weather to get warmer before sorting it out.

Paul

Thanks for the replies, I thought initially it's just the steering wheel that hasnt been put on straight but my main concern now (irrespective of the off-steering wheel) is that it's pulling to the right VERY noticeably if I let go of the wheel, not the normal creep to the left or right due to road camber but noticeable swerve.

That isn't right, but it would be worth checking the obvious stuff (tyre pressures) and then take it back to the dealer.

Paul

Had the exact same problem after my Cruise Control retrofit.

I also changed my steering ECU though, don`t know for sure that its the same thing.

Since i couldn`t take back the car -it was past 16:00- i decided to go for a drive. After some kilometers (around 20) the ESP light came on. The next morning i went back to my dealer and we did an
electronic calibration via their VAS system and everything worked fine later that day.

I suggest you go out for a little drive, probably your ESP light will come on too. I guess you will need calibration too.

This is EXACTLY what's happened this morning!! My girlfriend has driven to work in the car and just rang me to say a warning light has come on the dash - I asked is it an ESP light? and she said yes! Going to take it back to Audi on Friday morning :ermm:

Great news, so no reason to worry now mate :)

Just ask for a calibration, and you car will be good as new.
Remember to tell them about the steering wheel too, not being in the center position as the others have said.