Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    c_w
    5th Gear

Status

Cruise Control retrofit- steering now off and car seems to be pulling to right?

Today I had cruise control retro-fitted at an Audi dealer. All seemed to go well, and I picked the car up at the end of the day so was too late to take back. Tested the cruise control out and it all seemed fine, but I noticed that the steering wheel was off-centre (slightly to the left) when driving straight whereas before it was perfectly dead ahead (and tracked straight too). It seems the car now pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel, as though the steering wheel itself wants to self-centre??

I realise the steering wheel has had to come off to fit the cruise control so assumed the wheel just needs to turning to the right "1-spline", the main concern is the car now pulling to the right; do these cars have some kind of "positive centre" steering?

It is as though the steering is self-centering based on the actual steering wheel so that means the car is driving slightly to the right if that makes sense (have to hold the wheel slightly left to drive straight). Normally if the steering wheel has been put on at the wrong angle it wouldn't affect the tracking of the car, it would just be off-centre.

Going to take the car back tomorrow to reset the wheel but just concerned as to why it's pulling whereas it didn't before.
    Last edited by c_w; 10th March 2010 at 20:50.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, definately take it back. They might not have calibrated it correctly. Stuff like this needs to be done: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...teering_Assist
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

3rd Gear

Status
    Had the exact same problem after my Cruise Control retrofit.

I also changed my steering ECU though, don`t know for sure that its the same thing.

Since i couldn`t take back the car -it was past 16:00- i decided to go for a drive. After some kilometers (around 20) the ESP light came on. The next morning i went back to my dealer and we did an
    electronic calibration via their VAS system and everything worked fine later that day.

I suggest you go out for a little drive, probably your ESP light will come on too. I guess you will need calibration too.
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

Boycie

Status
    The wheel probably just isnt on straight - it is an easy fix but i would take it back to audi if you have the time.

Same thing happened with my car when retro fitting cruise. we didnt put the wheel on totally straight - think it was out 1 or 2 notches on the spline and in result the wheel was crooked.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies, I thought initially it's just the steering wheel that hasnt been put on straight but my main concern now (irrespective of the off-steering wheel) is that it's pulling to the right VERY noticeably if I let go of the wheel, not the normal creep to the left or right due to road camber but noticeable swerve.

6th Gear

Status
    I will join the "put the steering wheel back on wrong". Did my own retro-fit and managed to put it back on out by a couple of splines, just waiting for the weather to get warmer before sorting it out.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I thought initially it's just the steering wheel that hasnt been put on straight but my main concern now (irrespective of the off-steering wheel) is that it's pulling to the right VERY noticeably if I let go of the wheel, not the normal creep to the left or right due to road camber but noticeable swerve.
    That isn't right, but it would be worth checking the obvious stuff (tyre pressures) and then take it back to the dealer.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aristides View Post
    Had the exact same problem after my Cruise Control retrofit.

I also changed my steering ECU though, don`t know for sure that its the same thing.

Since i couldn`t take back the car -it was past 16:00- i decided to go for a drive. After some kilometers (around 20) the ESP light came on. The next morning i went back to my dealer and we did an
    electronic calibration via their VAS system and everything worked fine later that day.

I suggest you go out for a little drive, probably your ESP light will come on too. I guess you will need calibration too.
    This is EXACTLY what's happened this morning!! My girlfriend has driven to work in the car and just rang me to say a warning light has come on the dash - I asked is it an ESP light? and she said yes! Going to take it back to Audi on Friday morning

3rd Gear

Status
    Great news, so no reason to worry now mate

Just ask for a calibration, and you car will be good as new.
    Remember to tell them about the steering wheel too, not being in the center position as the others have said.
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit