Volks AutosChris Nott
    Rear Ender

Status

170 Diesel BE coolant level

My coolant level is very low again after about 1.5k miles since i topped it up.
    Ive already had it in once to the dealer and they changed a pump on it (im not very mechanically minded when it comes to cars).
    It went low again about 2 weeks ago, i topped it with water now it is low again with the horric red warnihng light on the dash coming on when you start up.

Its back in to the dealers again on sat for its first service and for this to be looked at but thought id check on here if any of you have had this.
    I have a May 2009 170 Diesel BE in Ibis and ive done 20'000 miles in it.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Coincidental thread. I've just checked my 2 month old 140 (1500m) and noticed the coolant level is on minimum. I'll be keeping a close eye on that.
    59 reg,silver A5 Sportback,

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Early PD 140 BKD engines where prone to cracking which was later sorted. I personally have not heard of a PD170 head cracking but it might be that. Another thing to check is if there is any puddles of water under the car after it has been parked up for the night as it could be something as simple as a loose coolent hose or leaking radiator.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've just picked my 140 up from the garage today after it was loosing coolant, turned out it was the radiator leaking which is common on mk5 Golfs - they leak at the bottom corners due to corrosion, do you see any damp patches on the ground when it's been parked up? mine left the patches under the n/s headlight area
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Hope it is the radiator because if its the cylinder head its big money to fix! Like Devonmikeyboy said, early PD 140 BKD engines where prone to cracking but as to the bit about them being sorted, erm... not all, Audi wouldnt recongise this problem for me and I battled to get any payment from them, I ended up paying nearly 2k for a new cylinder head on my 2.0 140 so fingers crossed for you its something more simple.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Leak diagnosis and radiator fitted at main dealers - 495 - glad i'm getting it reimbersed under the warranty
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    If it turns out you need a new head i have a secondhand one for sale http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...valves-&cat=15 and it would be a lot cheaper to go to a independent garage then using a dealer to get any work done.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

Rear Ender

Status
    My car is not even a year old so all work will be under warranty obviously, its not in now until 2 weeks time so will just have to monitor it.
    Ill let you know once its been in..

5th Gear

Status
    My 170 flashes up that the coolant is low every now and then although not as frequently as you are experiencing.

Its been in before about it and their solution was to change the filler cap?! It hasn't made any difference. They've checked and said the cylinder head is fine. It drives perfectly well too. I'm hoping they can come up with a better answer the next time it goes in or I'm going to start getting annoyed.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works