Drivers Door Sticking in Warmer weather, any ideas???? drivin me mad....

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
:think:Need some help please!

Drivers door just wont open when its sunny/warm. On cold/cooler days, not a problem. Its got to the point of having to use the key fob to open the windows so I can open from inside.

Not sure if its rubbers, or something else expanding!!

Any ideas or anyone ever had this before??

thanks

Sarah

Do you mean you have to pull the inner handle to undo the door or just tug on the door with the external door lever held upwards at same time?

not sure if it helps but i was getting all sorts of squeaking and creaking from my door seals as soon as the temp went up and I've used some simple spray on silicone on all the seals and rubber i could find. then rubbed it in with a cloth and sprayed again. no more probs since then, really quiet and doors open smoothly.

Im also getting some of this delivered as Ive heard its really good... def worth a try!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....762764&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3116wt_941

Is it sticking on the door rubbers or is the door catch itself not releasing properly? If its the latter then maybe your door catch needs re-aligning slightly, or in a very worst case your door has dropped a bit (which is what happened on my A4)

I really dont think its the mechanism, may be rubbers so I will try spray on silicone first and let you know.
NHN - no I have to use the inner handle to open the door, its gets so bad the outer one wont open it at all. Will see if things have dropped too, thanks

I think I have an idea what you problem is based on description possibly, inside the door the lock for the inner handle uses a thick wire cable to a different point on the mechanism to undo the door than the handle so this maybe working fine as you seem to be saying, now the external handle has a kinda lifting rod mechanism that has a plastic fixing for the rod to lift upwards on the lock as such, you'd see what I mean if you removed door card, I suspect the external door handle rod has slipped out of position in this plastic fixing, so you'd need to remove the door card, take the inner door cover of, get torch in there & check the rod that is connected nearest to the external door side & refix it & lock into position, then test before refitting, it will all become clear when you have a peek inside, this would be my 1st port of call.

I think I have an idea what you problem is based on description possibly, inside the door the lock for the inner handle uses a thick wire cable to a different point on the mechanism to undo the door than the handle so this maybe working fine as you seem to be saying, now the external handle has a kinda lifting rod mechanism that has a plastic fixing for the rod to lift upwards on the lock as such, you'd see what I mean if you removed door card, I suspect the external door handle rod has slipped out of position in this plastic fixing, so you'd need to remove the door card, take the inner door cover of, get torch in there & check the rod that is connected nearest to the external door side & refix it & lock into position, then test before refitting, it will all become clear when you have a peek inside, this would be my 1st port of call.

Will do that and let you know, thank you, much appreciated

Right, tried all the above over the weekend including spraying with silicone. Still the same when the door has had sun on it. Even tried altering realigning the door catch...nothing! really odd!

Huh, well if you were near me I'd have a word.

Ok if the handle lifts up but the door doesnt undo then it has to be the mechanism at fault here, if you were to wind window down & then lift external handle & then pull the door, are you saying it stays as though it was shut fully or the door does flex as though its stuck with glue or sealant if you know what I mean, cause mechanism not unlocking would hold it steady it wouldnt budge, but if its holding with say the seal then it would flex slightly.

Ok do this, remove the rubber push on seal all way round the door on a dry day of course, leave it in the sun & then see when undoing if it has the same problem, that would rule out the seal for sure if it stays locked.