Black Edition - Hard as a Rock!

screemin187

Reaction score
Hi folks

I can't see this topic covered anywhere but if i overlooked it, apologies

My 2.0T Black Edition A3 is unbelievably hard on the road, thumping violently at every road imperfection in the same way any other car i owned only sounded should i hit a pothole, i have owned plenty of cars with the same size wheels

I'm being told it could be down to the hardness of the Bridgestone tyres that came on the car? I'm led to believe the Subaru guys don't like them for this reason (very hard walled tyre)?

It has to be witnessed to be believed, even at low speeds you think you are going to wreck a rim. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I appreciate the car is very solid and that the state of our roads isn't the best, but i'm verging on thinking something must be wrong, or is this bridgestone theory possible? (They are not run flats)

Cheers

Last edited:
Ive got an S-Line with stretched continental tyres.
the ride in my car is very bumpy and hard too..and no reason for it to be that hard from what i can see.
a lot of people on here have said changing the springs to eibach or H&R will greatly improve the ride quality though.
i believe 10Blazin has got H&R on his car and previously had s-line springs so maybe you could ask him how much of a difference there is between the springs?

Piers

S-Line springs are ****. They're unnecessarily hard. For some reason Germans think hard means sporty. BMW do the same.

A set of Eibach springs will definitely soften it up a bit and improve the handling at the same time. Win win.

Pretty sure the suspension is more to blame than the choice of rubber.

Its an incredible thump when you hit any road imperfection, i think i need to take the salesman out a spin to believe it

Its an incredible thump when you hit any road imperfection, i think i need to take the salesman out a spin to believe it

in general Ive noticed nothing unusal. ive felt one huge bang but i nearly went down what appeared to be a black hole.

I'm sure I once read somewhere that the 5 doors S-Line models have a bit more of a forgiving ride than the 3 door. Is that true?

Just as an aside I once had an Octavia VRS company car with a rock solid ride - turned out the dealer never removed some blocks placed in the coil springs for transportation when they did the PDI!!

Are the transit chocks still in the springs?

Spookey!! Flat6 posted the same thing at the same time!!:ninja:

Could i tell by looking from under the arch, not 100% sure what i'm looking for? Nothing looks untoward at a glance

Are the springs on a 5-dr quattro any different than normal S-Line spec? My car seems to ride a little higher than other S-Lines and is quite decent for comfort (although my last car was a Clio 197 on H&R springs).

There was nothing untoward wrong, but the s-line suspension is diabolically bad, so bad that its putting me off the car and now seeking a solution, new springs or whatever. Surely other Black Edition s-line drivers are experiencing this?

Lovely car but poor handling

I agree with smudge, that my Weitec coilovers are much more comfortable than S-Line suspension. :)

Double check your tyre pressures as often dealers don't drop the pressures from the high settings used for transit/ storage. But yes s-line suspension is pretty firm but no more so than a mini cooper s jcw

I've had a BE Sportback for 3 months. The suspension is so hard, I'm actively looking to change it. I've had sports versions of cars for years, including some with 19" alloys, but none have ever felt like this does! I just don't think I can live with it longterm

I agree with smudge, that my Weitec coilovers are much more comfortable than S-Line suspension. :)

Weird isn't it

The rebound is completely different, so although the ride is quite bouncy on the motorway, hitting bumps is a lot more comfortable

The S-Line suspension just seemed to crash into potholes, whereas the Weitec's sort of bounces in and out like suspension should

I've only owned mine for a little over a week but I really am not finding the suspension all that bad. It's stiff but not uncomfortably so. I always joke with passengers that it has a 'choppy' ride but no-one has actually agreed with me yet, even the mother-in-law said it was a good ride! I had a CTR previously and its no worse than that was for sure...

On a slightly different note, if they just fixed the roads then we wouldn't have to worry about the pot holes around here that I've seen swallowing entire cars! :icon_thumright:

Thanks for that Dan, I was starting to worry!! I must admit that it didnt seem that bad on the test drive.

Had my BE SB for nearly a week now, and yes it is certainly a firmer ride than my old BMW 3 series, but nothing too bad. It seems to be worse at low speeds I think, but I thought it was quite comfortable on my first motorway journey over the weekend.

I'd heard about the ride being 'hard' but when I took an S-Line for a test drive round PotHoleCity, aka London, it didnt seem to bad

Bear in mind I currently drive a 10 year old Fiat Punto SX, so I'm used to a poor ride!

How much are these Weitec , eibach or H&R springs out of interest? That might be my first mod

And in terms of tyre pressure being high due to transit, what should I be telling the dealer to change it to on receipt of the car?

Cheers

I know what you mean, the ride is pretty bad on some surfaces. Over potholes that wouldnt present problems for other cars I've driven the A3 seems to really suffer - it sounds like there is some serious damage being done when it hits too.

Bo9ught my S3 on the back of a tes drive in an Sportback S-Line Demo. Didn't find the ride that harsh, just not the firmness that "S" quality has. You know what I mean.

Changing the springs might void the warranty, Dealers like to find any excuse for not doing things

Changing the springs might void the warranty, Dealers like to find any excuse for not doing things

I COMPLETLEY disagree with that statement, my car is HEAVILY modified and its been into Audi a number of times and they have never said a thing. Same as Mikey, his car had turboback Milltek and remap, his head cracked and they replaced it without batting an eyelid.

I think the ride in mine on 18s is actually harder then my mates old model CTR , and that's saying something! I don't think it's really the tyres fault where is comes to this model like it does on BMWs and runflats.
The ride on most sport/ s-line Audis is **** but this hasn't really resulted in electrifying handling in any of their models :-(

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies

The car went into the garage today and i took the mechanic for a drive

Guess what?

He agreed 100% and a return trip to the garage revealed ...... DELIVERY BLOCKS STILL IN THE SPRINGS!

I'm delighted that its been sorted, i have some videos of how bad it was but did not need them. The garage were 110% apologetic and gave me £250 gift vouchers as a gesture

This was suggested as a possible cause by JohnS3 - cheers John, you were spot on :)

Anyway, i can finally start to enjoy my 2.0T ... it goes around corners now and doesn't drive like a go kart. Excellent

lmfao thats funny as feck lmfao delivery blocks still on springs, how the hell did that get missed by the dealership, I mean seriously lmfao

This semms to be a common error with Audi,heard about it a few times. They had been left in on my S3, my car was ghosted away as I was waiting to drive it home,it was explained to me they were removing the blocks.

Mark

What do the blocks look like! I can't see anything obvious in my springs!

As a side issue, how low on OEM dampers have people gone on Eibach, etc springs on the S Line bearing in mind the S Line is already on lower springs.

Not looking for a chav ride but a nice squat looking car.