ESP light then Engine Management light

V6Pete

Now running on Bentley's y'all
Reaction score
I was driving home the other night, put my foot down on a clear stretch of road, and as the revs hit around 5,000, it stopped accelerating quite suddently and the ESP light came on. The next morning it was still on and after a few miles the engine management light came on to join it. Now both lights are lit.

Any ideas?

Pete 1st thing is vagcom, if you have a battery + code in there then the battery is at fault even thoug it starts and drive's etc, if the battery is a little low the module flags a code and puts the esp light on, i had this on my 4 motion and after lots of diagnostic work with the scope could not find a fault on the esp system, but had the battery + code in engine, and ignored it thinking that could not cause the esp light on. Then i noticed my battery struggling, so replace it and the esp light never came back on.
Just some food for thought

Thanks for the reply. The battery seems to be good as gold. The light also came on with a big jerk as it just stopped accelerating, so doesn't sound like a battery issue.

Well sod you all. You ask a proper question and get f*ck all in reply. You should all be ashamed of yourselves ;)

As i stated my battery was 'good as gold', PLEASE just have it checked, might not be the problem, but...........

Have you had it scanned? There are a few things it could be & at least VCDS could narrow it down.

Have you had it scanned? There are a few things it could be & at least VCDS could narrow it down.

Not yet, going to take it to a garage later this week when I get time.

I've not got VCDS so not able to check myself.

Pete,
I would agree with motionlee and have your battery checked, had a problem not so long ago with mine where the ESP light came on and stayed on permanently. My car would stall / cut out when the revs dropped to idle or I was coming up to a junction.
Had the battery checked whilst it was with my mechanic for the other faults and he said that one of the cells was possibly on the way out. Even though the car was starting fine. A few weeks later the car was really struggling to start and would need to turn over a few times before firing.
I changed the battery a few weeks ago and lo and behold the car starts at the first turn of the key and is running 100 times better!
Never underestimate the wonders that a decent battery can do!