Chris NottVolks Autos
    Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status

ESP light then Engine Management light

I was driving home the other night, put my foot down on a clear stretch of road, and as the revs hit around 5,000, it stopped accelerating quite suddently and the ESP light came on. The next morning it was still on and after a few miles the engine management light came on to join it. Now both lights are lit.

Any ideas?
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Pete 1st thing is vagcom, if you have a battery + code in there then the battery is at fault even thoug it starts and drive's etc, if the battery is a little low the module flags a code and puts the esp light on, i had this on my 4 motion and after lots of diagnostic work with the scope could not find a fault on the esp system, but had the battery + code in engine, and ignored it thinking that could not cause the esp light on. Then i noticed my battery struggling, so replace it and the esp light never came back on.
    Just some food for thought

Status
    Thanks for the reply. The battery seems to be good as gold. The light also came on with a big jerk as it just stopped accelerating, so doesn't sound like a battery issue.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Status
    Well sod you all. You ask a proper question and get f*ck all in reply. You should all be ashamed of yourselves

Neutral

Status
    As i stated my battery was 'good as gold', PLEASE just have it checked, might not be the problem, but...........

6th Gear

Status
    Have you had it scanned? There are a few things it could be & at least VCDS could narrow it down.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    Have you had it scanned? There are a few things it could be & at least VCDS could narrow it down.
    Not yet, going to take it to a garage later this week when I get time.

I've not got VCDS so not able to check myself.

1st Gear

Status
    Pete,
    I would agree with motionlee and have your battery checked, had a problem not so long ago with mine where the ESP light came on and stayed on permanently. My car would stall / cut out when the revs dropped to idle or I was coming up to a junction.
    Had the battery checked whilst it was with my mechanic for the other faults and he said that one of the cells was possibly on the way out. Even though the car was starting fine. A few weeks later the car was really struggling to start and would need to turn over a few times before firing.
    I changed the battery a few weeks ago and lo and behold the car starts at the first turn of the key and is running 100 times better!
    Never underestimate the wonders that a decent battery can do!