A3 Black edition sportback Ice Silver + rails

newbie170

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to get a black edition SB with the low profile roof rails, but am really stuck on the colour.
I liked the Monza silver, but don't think that's available in 2010 - it's just the ice silver.

I'm struggling to find pics - especially of ice silver for the SB Black Edition.

Any help, or pics greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

tbh I havent seen any in this colour, hopefully someone will be able to help you

Worst comes to worst just get down to the dealer and get them to point the colour out an a physical ca, you can't beat seeing it in the metal....

Thanks a3rick. What sort of delivery time are you on with your SB BE?

Current car has to go back at the end of May, and I'm getting nervous......!!!

Cheers,

I'm waiting for the lease company to get back to me but I should think that it will be some time in May.......hopefully

...Well the Audi configurator now lists the Black Edition (I don't think it used to), and based on this I think that Ice silver looks OK with the black roof rails.
So, I've settled on the colour, and options - I just need to choose the engine.....!

I was originally thinking 170tdi Quattro - well, if you are going to pay tax on a company car - you may as well get something you like, and I have never had a 4WD. (Currently have a passat estate 170tdi sport DSG, but now need less space...)
But, am now thinking could I make do with the 140 tdi stop /start with it's paltry emissions and excellent looking MPG, and save myself quite a bit in tax. Lease prices are only £10/month different!

Any thoughts......

I like the 140 for the tax reasons, the best bet is to take them on back to back test drives and see which one floats your boat. You can always get the 140 remapped if necessary.

Thanks a3rick, unfortunately my location means that I can only get to 1 dealer, who just has a 2 year old Sline 170SB available for test drive :-s.

Lol, would you get away with remapping a company car?? Quattro is only available on the 170.

I have been interested to try a 4wd diesel - with all that torque available it should really help. I remember my Alfa 2.4 JTD (about 400nm), that would wheelspin in 3rd!! The passat is quite bad too - but I guess there is a lot of weight that counteracts forward movement there!

Will think about it for a few days and order next week!

Like rick says - go with the 140 and remap to 180+ if you feel the need.

The 140 is a very comfortable ride... it will shift when needed.

If I was going for the 170 I would get a Quattro - help put down the power.

You need to way up if you want the extra mpg and road tax savings.

Nice to see the BE on the website.

When I took a 170 for a test drive I found it would wheelspin too easily when hammered

I'd just decided on th 170 tdi Quattro,and noticed that the stats for the size of the boot (with the seats up) are a lot smaller for the quattro.

I guess this is due to the rear drive? Anyone got any pics to compare the 2 I could look at please? Is the boot the same shape just shallow or something - or does it have intrusions at the side?

Cheers.

There are some diagrams in the back of the brochure,if that helps? Still waiting for misery guts from the lease company to get back to me with my delivery date :3sadwalk:

Ive got a 140bhp sportback sport in ice silver so might be slightly biased but in my opinion the ice silver is the dogs....and the 140 is more than enough power for me round town and on motorway. The newer version of mine which i only got in sept 09 now comes with start stop and even lower emssions and £35 a year road tax....how they do it i dont know!!

I love the BE and am very tempted to get one next time or even before the current A3 is replaced.

Well, I've changed my mind so many times......

I really wasn't sure about the *very* dark windows in the BE in anything other than silver - thought it looked a bit too much. So, have gone with an SLINE in aruba blue , specced up to BE Spec with a few extras (as you do), in the 170 quattro :) :) :). Just got to get it signed off now :-s!

There's some talk of delivery dates in here to thought I'd add my experience...

Ordered my new company car through the lease company 5-6 weeks ago, have had updates on delivery date since then telling me 24th May. Today have been told the order missed the '2010 model year production' and is therefore delayed on a worst case scenario of August 31st! They do say the date may come forward but they can't give any guarantees at the moment. Not sure if anyone else has had this communicated but that's my story. This seems from the note to be effecting the 3 door A3's at the moment, so spec could make a difference.

There's some talk of delivery dates in here to thought I'd add my experience...

Ordered my new company car through the lease company 5-6 weeks ago, have had updates on delivery date since then telling me 24th May. Today have been told the order missed the '2010 model year production' and is therefore delayed on a worst case scenario of August 31st! They do say the date may come forward but they can't give any guarantees at the moment. Not sure if anyone else has had this communicated but that's my story. This seems from the note to be effecting the 3 door A3's at the moment, so spec could make a difference.

I ordered a 5 door BE 4 weeks ago spoke to audi on the phone on monday and was told my car is locked into build week 16 starting 19 april , so maybe it is only 3 doors yet !!!!!!!!!

I've just spoken to a colleague who's had a Golf on order since last October and still hasn't been given a definate date :wtf:

Looks like it will be the end of June :)

It will be the 2011 model, and I have the official audi PDF with the changes. MPG is up to 54, and the all important CO2 is down to 135, not too shabby for the 170TDI Quattro!

Lol, after all my deliberation on colours, they have discontinued the aruba blue I went for, and replaced it with Scuba blue!

Can you post the official PDF on the 2011 model changes? It would be nice to see exactly from the horses mouth what is coming in the MY11 cars! :) I don't want to wait until mine arrives in October to find out :-(

I think you will be happy with the choice of engine and quattro. Not that I'm biased or anything... :)

I just find you can plant your foot and it just takes off without any hassle or wheelspin, great in the wet!

Model year 2011 (MY11) product changes to the A3 range include design enhancements, new standard and
optional equipment, the introduction of the 1.2 TFSI engine and the addition of start-stop technology to the 2.0
TDI 170 PS engine.New 1.2 TFSI engine

The new 1.2 TFSI engine will be available to order in the A3 3dr and Sportback from 25 May 2010. This engine
has already been launched for the Audi A3 Cabriolet range.
The 1.2 TFSI engine will replace the 1.6 MPI petrol engines later this year – final production for 1.6 MPI is
expected to be in early September (week 36/10).
We are currently awaiting the key technical data for 1.2 TFSI. This information will follow as soon as possible.
Prices
The 1.2 TFSI will be available in all standard trim levels across the range. Technik will continue to be available
for the 1.6 MPI only.

A3 Technik offer
The 1.6 MPI Technik is now available as complimentary upgrade
To assist with the run-out of 1.6 MPI, the Technik equipment will be available as a complimentary upgrade over
Standard and SE 1.6 MPI for orders placed on or after 25 May until production is full for 1.6 MPI (week 36/10).
The provisional end date for order take, to be used in customer communications, is 31 July 2010 however this
will be subject to availability of production. Please refer to Production and Supply bulletins for more accurate
updates on an ongoing basis and please manage customer expectations accordingly.

Engine change - 2.0 TDI 170PS now with start-stop
From MY11, the 2.0 TDI (170PS) engine will be the latest model to include start-stop technology as standard.
This means considerable reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 figures, and lower VED and BIK tax bands.
All other technical data for this engine will not change.
NB: variance to previous 2.0 TDI engine is shown in brackets.

Design enhancements
There will be a number of design changes to refresh the interior and exterior of the A3,
mid-lifecycle. Changes include a new diffuser for the rear bumper, chrome trim for door handles and chrome
surrounds for front fog lights.

Exterior changes
A3, A3 Sportback and A3 Cabriolet MY11 product changes
AU0434-10
Price A3 3dr 1.2 TFSI Standard A3 Sportback 1.2 TFSI Standard
RRP £15,570 £16,120
OTR £16,205 £16,755
Trim levels A3 1.6 MPI A3 1.2 TFSI
Standard Yes Yes
Technik Yes No
Sport Yes Yes
S line Yes Yes
Technical data A3 (3dr)
Engine 2.0 TDI 170PS
Transmission 6-speed manual 6-speed S tronic 6-speed manual quattro
Fuel consumption
(combined mpg)
60.1 (+5.8) 57.6 (+7.2) 54.3 (+3.9)
CO2 emissions (g/km) 123 (-16) 128 (-19) 135 (-13)
VED tax band D (-1 band) D (-2 bands) E (-1 band)
BIK tax band 18% (-0%) 18% (-2%) 19% (-1%)
Technical data A3 (Sportback)
Engine 2.0 TDI 170PS
Transmission 6-speed manual 6-speed S tronic 6-speed manual quattro
Fuel consumption
(combined mpg)
60.1 (+5.8) 56.5 (+6.9) 54.3 (+3.9)
CO2 emissions (g/km) 123 (-16) 130 (-19) 135 (-13)
VED tax band D (-1 band) D (-2 bands) E (1 –band)
BIK tax band 18% (-0%) 18% (-2%) 19% (-1%)

Interior changes
Interior changes for MY11 include:
Aluminium application for rear view mirror adjustment and power window controls
Air vent trim edge in high gloss black
New design S tronic gear lever
Left to right: Air vent trim edge in high gloss black, current S tronic gear lever, and new S tronic
gear lever.
Standard equipment

Driver’s Information System (DIS) with efficiency program available on all engines All models (excluding Standard trim)
A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cab

New
New design standard ‘Sport’ alloy wheel
17-inch ‘5-arm-kinetic’ design alloy wheels
(image below)
All Sport models
A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cab

Discontinued
A3 ‘Sport’ alloy wheel 17-inch ‘5-arm’ design
alloy wheels
All Sport models
A3, A3 Sportback, A3Cab

New
New design standard ‘Black Edition’ alloy wheel
18-inch ‘5-arm rotor’ design in titanium finish
alloy wheels (image below)
All Black Edition models
A3, A3 Sportback

Discontinued
A3 ‘Black Edition’ alloy wheel 18-inch ‘7-twin
spoke’ design in titanium finish alloy wheels
All Black Edition models
A3, A3 Sportback

New
Technology package now standard S3 and S3 Black Edition
S3, S3 Sportback

New
A3 Sport alloy wheel
Current A3 Sport alloy wheel discontinued

Optional equipment
New optional alloy wheels
Paint, upholstery and trim
Some new A3 colours are already available on other models in the Audi range.
New A3 Black Edition alloy wheel
Current A3 Black Edition alloy wheel discontinued

Discontinued CH7
17-inch '10-spoke V’
design' alloy wheel
A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cab
-
New C0X
17-inch ’10-spoke V’
design alloy wheel in
high gloss finish
(image below)
A3, A3 Sportback, A3Cab
-
New F41
18-inch ‘5-segmentspoke’
design alloy
wheel (image below)
A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cab
-
Change 7K6
Tyre pressure
monitor
A3, A3 Sportback, A3Cab unchanged Now informs driver which wheel has low pressure

Change 4ZM Black styling package
A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cab unchanged Also includes mattblack fog light trim and de-chromes door handles to body colour

Change PS5 Bucket seats
S3, S3 Sportback
£2,000 Price change

Discontinued
3GD Reversible load floor A3, A3 Sportback
(C0X) 17-inch ’10-spoke’ design alloy wheel in high-gloss finish.
(F41) 18-inch ‘5-segment-spoke’ design alloy wheel.

Status Code Paint colour changes Models affected
Discontinued 9C Garnet red A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
Discontinued 9X Dakar beige A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
Discontinued 3W Deep green A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
Discontinued Q9 Aruba blue A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
New 1G Volcano red A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
New Y7 Dakota grey A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
New 1J Tungsten grey A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3
New S9 Scuba blue A3, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabriolet and S3

Where are the pic's?

Would love to see a pic of the new BE wheels. Any chance you could post the images as well pleasse!

Last edited:
Wow thanks! This is the most comprehensive spec i've seen yet! Very intrigued by the new black edition alloy - i've just orderd a BE and love the old alloy wheels! Is there a piccy on that PDF you have? Would be very helpful if there is! :)

BE Wheels are quite a bit different.....

More of a standard 5 arm design (similar to the sport from a few years ago), but with the titanium finish.

Looks like it will be the end of June :)

It will be the 2011 model, and I have the official audi PDF with the changes. MPG is up to 54, and the all important CO2 is down to 135, not too shabby for the 170TDI Quattro!

Lol, after all my deliberation on colours, they have discontinued the aruba blue I went for, and replaced it with Scuba blue!

Can you send me that PDF please? I'll PM you my email address.

i have a s3 sportback on order and my dealer called the other day to say the tech pack was now standard but with a price increase of £1500 does it say anything about this as i can't seem to see anything above..

Hi,

First post but I've been lingering in the background reading up about the A3 BE. I've ordered myself a SB 140 tdi BE (when I first started reading the forum that would have completely baffled me with all those acronyms!) in Phantom Black. Should be delivered in Sept.

Got an email from my dealer the other day with a pic of the new BE wheel which will be on the facelifted cars. It seems to be different to the one which is shown on the German Audi configurator above. Pretty sure this is the right one as it came with a pdf - maybe the one already listed above? Any other images of this wheel around?

AU0434-10-Par-000132-ImageParimage1.jpg

I'd like a copy of that PDF please, if I PM you my email address could you send it over please?

I don't have the whole pdf, the dealer just emailed me with the relevant changes to my order and the pic of the wheels. Sorry I can't help with more info.

When I said it came with a pdf I meant the dealer told me he had received a pdf from Audi and the pic of the wheel was part of that, not that I had received the pdf.

Last edited:
Hi,

Got an email from my dealer the other day with a pic of the new BE wheel which will be on the facelifted cars. It seems to be different to the one which is shown on the German Audi configurator above. Pretty sure this is the right one as it came with a pdf - maybe the one already listed above? Any other images of this wheel around?

No, these are the ones I was also referring to. Could be my linking skills though. :)
a3.jpg

Hi, I ordered a new BE SB 3 weeks ago and am very intrigued by your posts about the new wheels... am I understanding you correctly that all newly ordered cars will come with the new 5 spoke design? They look really good - saw some of a similar design on an A5 yesterday!

Hi, I ordered a new BE SB 3 weeks ago and am very intrigued by your posts about the new wheels... am I understanding you correctly that all newly ordered cars will come with the new 5 spoke design? They look really good - saw some of a similar design on an A5 yesterday!

Yes, see the last few pages in the Black Edition thread.