EM TuningJMB Retrofits

Thread: Boot lid

Neutral

Status

Boot lid

Random question, but when I close my boot its kind of slams shut in an un Audi like close. There is a vibration noise that comes from somewhere when it shuts.

Could it be the struts? I was advised that the car had a bike rack used on the car, so could it be the weight of that over time?

I know its not really a big issue, but I like the car to be as perfect as possible and would like to sort it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Black S3 8P, FBMFSW, BOSE, black nappa leather, rear parking sensors, remap and intake to come!
    Previously...
    Mini John Cooper Works GP No 1871 / VW Golf MK5 R32, DSG / Renault Megane Renault Sport Trophy No.493 / Alfa Romeo (never again!!!)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lets make that kitten purr...

Status
    Mine doesn't shut with the same refined thud as the doors either. Always sounds like the parcel shelf's got caught too.

I've just always put it down to bad acoustic tuning, or lack of it really.
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah thats what its like. Like the parcel shelf got stuck in the way....a very plasticy slam.
    Black S3 8P, FBMFSW, BOSE, black nappa leather, rear parking sensors, remap and intake to come!
    Previously...
    Mini John Cooper Works GP No 1871 / VW Golf MK5 R32, DSG / Renault Megane Renault Sport Trophy No.493 / Alfa Romeo (never again!!!)

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Mine sound more clumsy than any other car I have had!!!

In fact I think the actual doors are kinda harsher than most cars. No problem, just expected something more refined I suppose..

5th Gear

Status
    My boot sounds ****e too. Doors aren't too bad...

4NT
    Terminal Douche Bag!

Status
    I think it's an A3 thing! process of illimination, check the number plate's not loose, take parcel shelf out and check it closing without it, try and tap around on the lid trim see if it's loose also. If it's had a bike rack and been under extra stress how about new lifters?

Frustrating to have non Audi clatter!!!!
    A4 B6 Avant 130 Sport Dolphin Grey. FCA - Storage Pack - Advanced Lighting - Retro Fit Cobra Park assist - Gen OEM RS6's - Parrot Kit with screen in ashtray. Coming soon, stealth audio upgrade, LCR splitter.

Previously 60 plate Octavia VRS, Dull Mk6 Golf, A3 8P Sport with mods, New shape Jetta,2 x Passat B6 Sports with AMG 19's, A4 DTM, A4 S-Line, Bora 130 Sport Decked, Toledo TT comp Wheels, some other stuff, Alfa's etc. 1st car 1986 Polo Coupe S.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Mine sounds the same!!! Like poor quality unlike the doors! Feels heavy too and slams shut when it lowers! Odd, maybe they ran out of money when the designers got to the rear lol

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Mad! Thanks for all of you comments. I am strangely pleased that its not just me but dissapointed that its like that. I had a MK5 R32 around 18 months back and it really did sound 'finished' when you closed the boot or closed the doors. The S3 just sounds like a my old Renault did!!
    Previously...

6th Gear

Status
    mine sounds like a bag bolts when it closes, i blame it on the wiper, it seems to jump!

Sportbacks are a lot nicer to close than the 3 door
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdsc View Post
    Mad! Thanks for all of you comments. I am strangely pleased that its not just me but dissapointed that its like that. I had a MK5 R32 around 18 months back and it really did sound 'finished' when you closed the boot or closed the doors. The S3 just sounds like a my old Renault did!!
    Yes I know exactly what you mean. My friend's R32 just sounds like 'proper' rather than doors being slammed! Though I was the only anal person but evidentally everyone else has that on the bad of their minds also lol.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I seem to have been a little unlucky with my BE sportback as it had several faults from new (they're now sorted, though am waiting for the next one to rear its head!). When I took it back to the dealer to demonstrate these faults I mentioned the noise that the boot made when shut. The chief technician just looked at me and said that that's what it's supposed to sound like. Am not entirely happy with this from a so-called premium manufacturer; it leaves a lot to be desired.