Boot lid

mattdsc

Reaction score
Random question, but when I close my boot its kind of slams shut in an un Audi like close. There is a vibration noise that comes from somewhere when it shuts.

Could it be the struts? I was advised that the car had a bike rack used on the car, so could it be the weight of that over time?

I know its not really a big issue, but I like the car to be as perfect as possible and would like to sort it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mine doesn't shut with the same refined thud as the doors either. Always sounds like the parcel shelf's got caught too.

I've just always put it down to bad acoustic tuning, or lack of it really.

Mine sound more clumsy than any other car I have had!!!

In fact I think the actual doors are kinda harsher than most cars. No problem, just expected something more refined I suppose..

I think it's an A3 thing! process of illimination, check the number plate's not loose, take parcel shelf out and check it closing without it, try and tap around on the lid trim see if it's loose also. If it's had a bike rack and been under extra stress how about new lifters?

Frustrating to have non Audi clatter!!!! :weight_lift2:

Mine sounds the same!!! Like poor quality unlike the doors! Feels heavy too and slams shut when it lowers! Odd, maybe they ran out of money when the designers got to the rear lol

Mad! Thanks for all of you comments. I am strangely pleased that its not just me but dissapointed that its like that. I had a MK5 R32 around 18 months back and it really did sound 'finished' when you closed the boot or closed the doors. The S3 just sounds like a my old Renault did!!

mine sounds like a bag bolts when it closes, i blame it on the wiper, it seems to jump!

Sportbacks are a lot nicer to close than the 3 door

Mad! Thanks for all of you comments. I am strangely pleased that its not just me but dissapointed that its like that. I had a MK5 R32 around 18 months back and it really did sound 'finished' when you closed the boot or closed the doors. The S3 just sounds like a my old Renault did!!

Yes I know exactly what you mean. My friend's R32 just sounds like 'proper' rather than doors being slammed! Though I was the only anal person but evidentally everyone else has that on the bad of their minds also lol.

I seem to have been a little unlucky with my BE sportback as it had several faults from new (they're now sorted, though am waiting for the next one to rear its head!). When I took it back to the dealer to demonstrate these faults I mentioned the noise that the boot made when shut. The chief technician just looked at me and said that that's what it's supposed to sound like. Am not entirely happy with this from a so-called premium manufacturer; it leaves a lot to be desired.