New Member Here!!

Azizur_Rahman

Reaction score
Hi guys, im a new member here, but have been browsing the forum for nearly 3 - 4 months now, as im interested in buying an audi. I am 18 years old with a years driving experience now, 0 no claims im afraid, and 1 fault accident . How do you think insurance will treat me on an Audi A3 8P. Im looking at getting a Diesel to make up for the loss i will have with the insurance, but would it be cheaper to insure a 1.6?

Also when buying a used audi, possibly starting at 2003 to 2005, how much will i be looking to pay and is there any faults i should watch out for.

Sorry for the long boring post, but i really love these A3's

Thanks

Prepare to be bottom plundered on insurance !

Welcome to the forum. I think the only way you're going to find out is to play about with options on www.confused.com or one of the other price comparison websites. There are so many variables that's going to be the only way to get an accurate idea. You can play about with options, different models etc to see how that;s going to affect your premium.

Thank You MG, im going to try that, but it seems like if you phone them up you get it cheaper - something to do with the companies paying comission to the price comparison site.

Any ideas on what i am going to be paying for an audi 2003 - 2005?

Jusr checked now, and the insurance is around £3050 which is not that bad considering im paying £1900 on a 1.3 fiesta 2003, and when i insured the fiesta i was a new driver no accidents, and the quote for the audi 1.6 group 9 was with the accident declared. This might go cheaper in the next few months - not too sure, or might just add someone to the policy as an addition driver, me being the policy holder and main driver.

Now the hard part is the car.

What do you think of this?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1534243.htm

or even this: :hubbahubba:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1525317.htm

cheaper insurance aswell.

Which one would you prefer? and are the prices any good?

i had 1 years no claims similar condition to you and i was £1200 granted i was 20 at the time thats long behind me now

£3050 for a years driving , What about being a named driver on a policy ?
I know its always best to have your own policy and build up the no claims etc... But at £3500 for me that would be crazy !

You can always get start your own policy in a year or 2 .

Cant comment on the Honda as i really am an Audi whore , but the Audi with 101k on the clock on a petrol sounds quite scary , depends on the history and work that has been done to maintain it.

Last edited:
Thanks crypric,

I understand but i got to start building it up. I passed when i was 17 and my insurance was £1900 and i live in a good area. My friends who have just recently passed at 18, are getting quotes on bangers at 3k + so somehow i feel lucky.

I believe that the audi's are seen to be "Prestigious" car, so the owner would go round ragging it everywhere. This may be the reason why the insurance is "cheaper" than it should be. I put my brother as second driver, and the quote remained the same, i then put him as policy holder and the insurance increased to 5k, i don't know why lol. I used Tesco comparison.

Thanks

What mileage do you recommend i buy an Audi a3 on, as my budget is 6k max.

Welcome but paying that much for insurance would kill me. I'm 20 without any no claims, just started my own policy with quinn direct on a 1.6 at £1400. I don't know how you can justify paying that much for something you won't even use & it's half the value of the car. You might be loving the car but seriously consider the money your burning. For a 03-05 you'll be paying around £7k or even higher if it's a diesel. 1.9 diesels are just about the same to insure as a 1.6 petrol...the difference is on the 2.0tdi. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies guys, i understand 3k is a lot and the more i type it the more its making sense. However i just don't want dodgy insurance. I might just keep checking and add my brother or dad as a driver and see what it goes to. I'm now on the look out for an Audi A3. If any1 has one please let me know. Also one of the mods i will be doing is changing the steering wheel to a TT one or an RS one, depending on the availability. I read on the forum that replacing the steering wheel disables the air bag on some models. Please can you tell me which models that is on and what year.

Good luck with the quest!

Get whatever you want as it's you that sits inside the car day in day out.

My view is that if YOU can justify doing it then it's irrelevant how irrational it is to others! Heck it's your money and choice.