Help needed. Strange metalic noise when releasing gas pedal.

amgad

Reaction score
I have an A3 Sportback 2007 Tdi 140 cv. And ever since the begining to more or less extent, if in first gear and at a costant rev of say 1500 rpm, if i let go of the accelerator suddenly or step a little on it (so the car pulls or lets go with a jerk) I hear a metalic clack clack sort of transmission sound in the lower part of the engine. This only happens if the car has been outside at low temperatures say 5-8ºC or less. The sound is no longer herd after a few minutes of idle, or after driving for a couple of kilometers.

If the temperature outside is warm, even if the engine is cold, there is no sound.

What could this be? the car is on its 3rd gearbox due to other problems (last of which was to eliminate this sound) with no luck (all paid for in warranty). Where could this sound be coming from?
I fitted a lower dogbone mount insert hoping that this jerking clack sound would be coming from a soft OEM mount, but nop... not the case.

Any ideas would be great. At audi, car has been several time, and either they dont know, or they dont want to find the problem.

No so much loose, the Cat was just nackered, had to be replaced.

When the sound started happening it would only be when revs were being applied, after a few weeks it got to the stage were it would happen constantly, even at idle.

I hope it isnt the Cat as they're not cheap and most warranty's don't cover Cat's, nip it to the garage see what they say, consultation with most garages is free.

No so much loose, the Cat was just nackered, had to be replaced.

When the sound started happening it would only be when revs were being applied, after a few weeks it got to the stage were it would happen constantly, even at idle.

I hope it isnt the Cat as they're not cheap and most warranty's don't cover Cat's, nip it to the garage see what they say, consultation with most garages is free.

Thanks, its been in to the audi dealer several times, and they dont have a clue... now kinda working on my own.

They said exactly the same thing when I first went in when the rattle happened, I decided to leave it a few weeks and see if it got worse, it did. Took it back, guy put it on the ramps and gave the Cat a whack and diagnosed the problem straight away.

Could be a waiting game to find out it the problem gets worse and to make it more apparant as to where the problem is coming from. Its an annoying waiting game.. my problem was doing my head in, lol.

They said exactly the same thing when I first went in when the rattle happened, I decided to leave it a few weeks and see if it got worse, it did. Took it back, guy put it on the ramps and gave the Cat a whack and diagnosed the problem straight away.

Could be a waiting game to find out it the problem gets worse and to make it more apparant as to where the problem is coming from. Its an annoying waiting game.. my problem was doing my head in, lol.[/QUOT

Thanks, will get back there and mention it, see what happens. Mind you, they hate being told what is wrong with the car.