Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

A3 1400 S Line DSG v TDI2000 BE v 1 Series Coupe (118d) + Options Questions

Hi Guys

I can order a new company car and have narrowed my choice to the above models.

With the S Line Petrol 1400 I have Ł850 for options, could I include the BE upgrade at Ł788?
    My thoughts of this route are to get the DSG gearbox.

In regards to the BE I have Ł1100 for options but am about Ł120 over budget so I would remove 2 cheaper items and purchase them sperately myself, which are the best options to do this for? Also if you take the non smoking package do you still keep a CLC?

Finally with the 1 Series (118d) I can get Ł1930 in options on a 1 Series Sport or Ł1350 with a SE Dynamic.

To be honest the cabin feels much better quality in the A3 and you get more for your money but I'd just be interested in your thoughts.

On the A3 I'd also like to add Sat Nav at a later date.

Cheers

Darren

2. # ADS
    ADS

Brilliant Black Black edition

Status
    I've just had to make the same decision. The 1 series is a much nicer car to drive IMO, but the Audi's much better kitted out and has a more quality feel to it (and some would argue is better looking)

I went for the Audi in the end as the 1 series is just too small for my family needs (I previously owned a 130i and had to sell it because of lack of space) and I've still got a 3.0 BMW for non-work duties

The new CR engines are leaps ahead of the old PD units for refinement (I'd prev dismissed an A3 when only the PD engine was available) and are now comparable with the BMW diesels. Try both and see which you prefer.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Audi over BMW ADL...

5th Gear

Status
    I would't say the 1 series is much nicer to drive than the A3, if comparing M Sport with Sport or s-line. All there have pretty firm rides and the damping on the S-line and m sports is far from perfect, something they both have in common. Obv the rwd can be more fun but with only a 118d you've not got that much to get the back end out .
    The interior on the 1 series hatchback is absolutely horrid, especially for the money. Is has no cohesiveness or flow, random curves here and there, and is relatively cheap feeling compared to the Audi and looks nowhere as nice.
    The Audi also has tonnns more room in the back. The only 1 series I'd consider is a 123d or 135i coupe.
    Only plus point about the 118d over the A3 1.4TSI is the fuel economy and road tax...over 55 easily in the BMW, high 30s in the Audi.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    I would't say the 1 series is much nicer to drive than the A3
    I would! Having had a 3 day demo of each back to back (which ended up in me purchasing a 1 series, which has now sadly gone).

The steering alone won me over, but rwd even on the 118d gives the potential for antics (read grins) in the wet that an A3 just can't offer. The A3 is a nice compromise given the space, quality, finish etc, which I why I've just ordered as a company car.. (well that's what I keep telling myself - the wife won in the end. I'm not bitter, much !)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, I'm now just awaiting test drives but after sitting in both cars again today the interior is much nicer and of better quality in the A3 so that's the way I'm leaning.

The next step is to decide between the 2.0 TDI BE (3 Door), I have Ł1100 for extras which I'm thinking;

Whatever car will come with front and rear parking sensors as standard (part of the company deal)
    Light & Rain Sensor Pack Ł276
    Interior Light Pack Ł76
    Heated Seats Ł212
    Electric Door Mirrors Ł102
    High Beam Assist Ł85
    Adaptive Headlights Ł246
    Tyre Pressure Ł64
    Storage Pack Ł76

With the S Line 1.4 Auto DSG I would have only Ł850 for extras as well as missing out on all the BE upgrades.

Is the Auto Gearbox worth sacrificing the BE for?

Also on the options I've listed is there anything you think is worth getting in their place and doing the smaller items at my own cost at a later date? Just to add I'd like to get the Sat Nav at a later date, should I take the Bluetooth option at this point to make it easier when I do get Sat Nav, would I just need standard or Low with Preparation?

Thanks

Darren
    Last edited by Daz(Teesside); 2nd March 2010 at 14:44.

Reverse Gear

Status
    FWIW,

I've got a 1.4 Manual S Line A3 Sportback and the misses has a 118d Manual Sport.

I'll take mine any day of the week, yes the beamer is quicker, but the Audi is just a nicer place to be (and the misses agrees - unfortunately).

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    As I said.....Audi over BMW ADL

1st Gear

Status
    The BMW 1 series boot is tiny. I had a hire one for a few days a couple of years back and was underwhelmed.
    8P2 A3 2.0T FSI S line Special Edition Sportback S tronic 2007MY. Black. Concert II+ & Bose.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Horses tor courses....I would go for the BM. the Audi WILL break down and the garage will throw their hands up and tell you its fine. Audi service is pants and frankly the A3 is too heavy for a 1.4ltr engine. for that sort of money you could get a Focus, better to drive and more reliable, as a company car resale dosnt matter.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    the Audi WILL break down .
    He He, what a load of ****e
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Status
    I think it also depends on the type of driving you do. Now I live in Cheshire with long straight, boring flat roads I'll be happy with the A3 (hopefully) but when I lived in the Yorkshire Dales every drive was an event, and the 1 series was far a more enjoyable and rewarding drive on those roads.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    He He, what a load of ****e
    You said it mate, you wait till you get an intermittent fault and Audi say " no fault code...no problem...Piss of sir...You look at your Ł20k car and think "what a load of ****e"
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

S3 (8P)

Status
    You said it mate, you wait till you get an intermittent fault and Audi say " no fault code...no problem...Piss of sir...You look at your Ł20k car and think "what a load of ****e"
    Stop Press...........calling all AUDI owners...youve been duped....your car will break down.....dont beleive the hype...etc.

I feel your pain mate but to right off a successful global brand because you have had a bad experience??
    Come off it.

Perfect it aint, ****e it aint.

Go get yourself a Focus and chuck those sour grapes in the bin.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    LOL, I take it you've never been to Knights BMW Stoke On Trent then. Bunch of horrible, rude, clueless monkeys. You'll find bad dealers/"mechanics"/service cacross all marques.