A3 1400 S Line DSG v TDI2000 BE v 1 Series Coupe (118d) + Options Questions

Daz(Teesside)

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I can order a new company car and have narrowed my choice to the above models.

With the S Line Petrol 1400 I have £850 for options, could I include the BE upgrade at £788?
My thoughts of this route are to get the DSG gearbox.

In regards to the BE I have £1100 for options but am about £120 over budget so I would remove 2 cheaper items and purchase them sperately myself, which are the best options to do this for? Also if you take the non smoking package do you still keep a CLC?

Finally with the 1 Series (118d) I can get £1930 in options on a 1 Series Sport or £1350 with a SE Dynamic.

To be honest the cabin feels much better quality in the A3 and you get more for your money but I'd just be interested in your thoughts.

On the A3 I'd also like to add Sat Nav at a later date.

Cheers

Darren

I've just had to make the same decision. The 1 series is a much nicer car to drive IMO, but the Audi's much better kitted out and has a more quality feel to it (and some would argue is better looking)

I went for the Audi in the end as the 1 series is just too small for my family needs (I previously owned a 130i and had to sell it because of lack of space) and I've still got a 3.0 BMW for non-work duties :)

The new CR engines are leaps ahead of the old PD units for refinement (I'd prev dismissed an A3 when only the PD engine was available) and are now comparable with the BMW diesels. Try both and see which you prefer.

I would't say the 1 series is much nicer to drive than the A3, if comparing M Sport with Sport or s-line. All there have pretty firm rides and the damping on the S-line and m sports is far from perfect, something they both have in common. Obv the rwd can be more fun but with only a 118d you've not got that much to get the back end out .
The interior on the 1 series hatchback is absolutely horrid, especially for the money. Is has no cohesiveness or flow, random curves here and there, and is relatively cheap feeling compared to the Audi and looks nowhere as nice.
The Audi also has tonnns more room in the back. The only 1 series I'd consider is a 123d or 135i coupe.
Only plus point about the 118d over the A3 1.4TSI is the fuel economy and road tax...over 55 easily in the BMW, high 30s in the Audi.

I would't say the 1 series is much nicer to drive than the A3

I would! Having had a 3 day demo of each back to back (which ended up in me purchasing a 1 series, which has now sadly gone).

The steering alone won me over, but rwd even on the 118d gives the potential for antics (read grins) in the wet that an A3 just can't offer. The A3 is a nice compromise given the space, quality, finish etc, which I why I've just ordered as a company car.. (well that's what I keep telling myself - the wife won in the end. I'm not bitter, much !)

Thanks guys, I'm now just awaiting test drives but after sitting in both cars again today the interior is much nicer and of better quality in the A3 so that's the way I'm leaning.

The next step is to decide between the 2.0 TDI BE (3 Door), I have £1100 for extras which I'm thinking;

Whatever car will come with front and rear parking sensors as standard (part of the company deal)
Light & Rain Sensor Pack £276
Interior Light Pack £76
Heated Seats £212
Electric Door Mirrors £102
High Beam Assist £85
Adaptive Headlights £246
Tyre Pressure £64
Storage Pack £76

With the S Line 1.4 Auto DSG I would have only £850 for extras as well as missing out on all the BE upgrades.

Is the Auto Gearbox worth sacrificing the BE for?

Also on the options I've listed is there anything you think is worth getting in their place and doing the smaller items at my own cost at a later date? Just to add I'd like to get the Sat Nav at a later date, should I take the Bluetooth option at this point to make it easier when I do get Sat Nav, would I just need standard or Low with Preparation?

Thanks

Darren

Last edited:
FWIW,

I've got a 1.4 Manual S Line A3 Sportback and the misses has a 118d Manual Sport.

I'll take mine any day of the week, yes the beamer is quicker, but the Audi is just a nicer place to be (and the misses agrees - unfortunately).

The BMW 1 series boot is tiny. I had a hire one for a few days a couple of years back and was underwhelmed.

Horses tor courses....I would go for the BM. the Audi WILL break down and the garage will throw their hands up and tell you its fine. Audi service is pants and frankly the A3 is too heavy for a 1.4ltr engine. for that sort of money you could get a Focus, better to drive and more reliable, as a company car resale dosnt matter.

I think it also depends on the type of driving you do. Now I live in Cheshire with long straight, boring flat roads I'll be happy with the A3 (hopefully) but when I lived in the Yorkshire Dales every drive was an event, and the 1 series was far a more enjoyable and rewarding drive on those roads.

He He, what a load of *****:faint:

You said it mate, you wait till you get an intermittent fault and Audi say " no fault code...no problem...**** of sir...You look at your £20k car and think "what a load of *****"

You said it mate, you wait till you get an intermittent fault and Audi say " no fault code...no problem...**** of sir...You look at your £20k car and think "what a load of *****"

Stop Press.......:sos:....calling all AUDI owners...youve been duped....your car will break down.....dont beleive the hype...etc.

I feel your pain mate but to right off a successful global brand because you have had a bad experience??
Come off it.

Perfect it aint, ***** it aint.

Go get yourself a Focus and chuck those sour grapes in the bin.

Cheers
Paul

LOL, I take it you've never been to Knights BMW Stoke On Trent then. Bunch of horrible, rude, clueless monkeys. You'll find bad dealers/"mechanics"/service cacross all marques.