To much oil in the car.. 2.0 TDI

johal87

Reaction score
Hi had a problem with oil in the intercooler pipe last week

Could this be caused with too much oil in the car?

Thanks guys

Well I checked the dipstick hence me saying this..

It was way over max, and I've since removed some and its just under max now.

well as there was no under engine cover, there was a very small oil stain (50p peice) and a drop coming off the intercooler pipe

Hasnt really leaked since, I was just wondering if this was caused by the amount of oil?

Turbo seals a big job?

sounds like just been over full then mate, id clean all the oil off and check it in a day or so see if its leaking again, if it was turbo seals, its turbo off to be repaired or new turbo this is worst case senario of cause

thats what we have done today mate, took out about 1 litre of oil!

Thanks alot hope its sorted now!

to actually answer your question - yes, having too much oil in the engine could cause it to leak.

If the level is far too high, then there's a chance that the bottoms of the pistons are hitting the oil as they go around and creating far more splash and pressure inside the crankcase than the seals are designed to cope with.

That could cause either oil to be splashed into the various breather pipes or to seep past various seals that aren't designed to be submerged under liquid oil or to cope with the increased crankcase pressure.

However also even without too much oil, it seems to be the "norm" for oil to gather in the intercooler feeder pipes and to seep out past the intercooler seals slightly.... That's not unusual.

Guys, thanks for all the help and info so far!

Over night, no oil leaked onto the drive, however after a hours drive 30 mins either way with cool down inbetween, I have noticed a small oil mark again.. Well every time I stop, after about a hour theres like a small stain, but thats only because im actully really looking out for it.

Going to take the intercooler pipe off today and clean it up inside and out and then see from there..

But there was way too much oil in the car, and I only come to notice the leak after an oil change.. So im hoping I just put too much in when I done it and its just built up since then..?

To much oil in a PD engine can damage the engine. If the engine is over filled oil can easily be blown down the crack case breather pipe into the air inlet pipe which will then get pulled by gravity to the lowest point in the intercooler inlet pipework. To do the job properly all the inlet pipes need to be removed and cleaned plus flush the intercooler out as that could have oil in it as well. The turbo seals could also be damaged and leaking.

UPDATE...

Removed the intercooler pipe.. On inspection, yes there was oil inside, not much though.. cleaned out and put back on.. gasket sealer was used to get a better lock as this morning it blow the pipe off! but now locked alot better and no leaks so far...

However.. ALOT OF BLACK SMOKE!! I know its a diesel, but its just had a service, just wondering why its giving a large puff of black smoke on abit of poke..