Slight smell of burn, then erratic idle, and seemingly no radiator fan

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hmmm,

As the warranty is all but expired, (3 days to go), it seems the car has ideas about falling apart!

Sat in traffic this morning, and got a really short burst of what smelt like electrical burning. I was only 1/2 mile from home, so as it didn't last I thought I'll limp the car home.

Got home, opened the bonnet and there was a loud buzzing coming from by the rad fan (but the rad wasn't working).

Does it sound like the radiator fan has packed up?

Typically they can't book the car in for work until after the warranty has expired on Monday :crying:

Given the diagnosis, is it safe to drive gently over the weekend? (avoiding peak hours traffic e.g. jams)

Thanks in advance

Warren

Warren, what you don't need right now is an engine bay fire. If somethig is getting so hot it smokes, it is serious stuff. The erratic idle is also worrying. You could try pulling the radiator fan fuses for safety, but it just could be something else. Prudence would be to not use the car until the Audi guys have had a good look and determined what is actually trying to catch fire. I know it is not good news if you only have this car as transport. Since you reported the fault before the warrenty expires, yoiu should be OK on that score.
Cheers, Geraldy212

Any fault codes with VCDS?

Report this within the warranty period and they will have to honour this, it's not your fault they havn't got time to look at it straight awat. Make sure you get some sort iof booking confirmation before the warranty expired.

David

Any fault codes with VCDS?

No, nothing.

Just popped the fan out and replaced it. Supposedly a known weak spot - wasn't aware of this.

Seems better so will watch how it goes for now.

Good news, hopefully it will be sorted now.

Seems to be all good which is pleasing. Could of done without another bill of £300 this month, but never a good time!! Just conscious running stage 2+ that removing all the heat from under the bonnet is pretty much pre-requisite.

What worries me is no DTC's???? No blown fuses.

IMG_0608.JPG